PDA

View Full Version : Splayed leaf spring mounting

High Plains Mopars
05-04-2007, 03:08 AM
What benefit would there be to mounting leaf springs in a splayed orientation? Either wider at the front or wider at the rear with around a 4" difference between one end to the other.

A friend of mine says it provides a more stable transition during turn in. I was think it may allow for more roll resistance from the leafs. Any thoughts?

silver69camaro
05-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Actually, it helps quite a bit. But both of you are right, provides roll steer and also increases roll resistance. But, it also increases lateral stiffness (which is important to me). You want the front of the springs to be about 2" narrower than the rear. 4" would work I guess, but I'd do 2" if possible to avoid excessive roll rates.

First gen Camaros are set up this way, I don't know about any other cars (I know Mustangs are parallel).

High Plains Mopars
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I would think providing roll steer through this arrangement would make the car loose on corner entry.

There are several Mopars configured this way from the factory. All E bodies (Cuda, Challenger) and F bodies (Aspen, Volare) are narrow at the front hanger and wide at the rear shackle. The 73 and newer B bodies (Charger, Road Runner) are the opposite and are wider up front at the hanger. All pre 73 B bodies and all A bodies (Dart, Duster) are parallel.

Since it is already built into my car, sounds like it may be worth retaining. Hmm, that will pose some new challenges in getting additional tire clearance.

JMarsa
05-04-2007, 10:44 AM
I think 1970+ GM F & X bodies are like this from the factory as well.

--JMarsa