PDA

View Full Version : looking for an engine

RobM
05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
im looking for a drive train for a light weight performance vehicle...

the criteria are....

Inexpensive light weight high revving 4 cylinder

rear wheel drive platform

carbureted

readily available replacement/ performance parts

manual transition

So far I’ve strongly been leaning towards a 22r from a 2wd toyota truck any other ideas?

ProTouring442
05-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Although it was originally a FWD motor, I have seen several articles on the Quad-4 being built up for a RWD performance application. There are a good deal of aftermarket parts to adapt carbs, trannies, etc.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
'89 ASC/McLaren
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442

Goatman
05-03-2007, 02:59 AM
The newer motors out of the Pontiac Solstice's are also supposed to make big power with a turbo..

JMarsa
05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
I agree with Chris. See ebay item 320110173707. They usually have several per month around that price.

--JMarsa

Adam's 55 Chevy
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Cobalt 2.2 litre engine?

Johnny Blaze
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Pinto motor! Plenty of aftermarket support for it.

Lowend
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
I'll second the 22R - just a bulletproof engine with a ton of aftermarket stuff out there.
Lots of the SCCA Starlet guys buy used Atlantic Cup engines and make a TON of power

Texas Hotrod
05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with Bill. I'd go with the olds Quad-4.
The older ones are 2.3 liters, the newer ones are 2.4 liters.
The power steering pump was driven off the back of one of the cams (if I remember correctly). That would be a good place to drive an old 4 cylinder distributor. Install a set of weber IDF 48mm carbs and have a cool set up. Tweek the factory electronics, install a turbo and 400 hp is easily possible.
GM performance parts makes lots of goodies for that puppy, so it just depends on how much you want to spend.
A bell housing from an S10 truck should have the same bolt pattern. The old motors were 2.5, the later ones used 2.2s and the old V6s were 2.8liters. All of those had the small bell housing, the later 4.3 S10 engine is the same as what the 350 has.

The 22R is good for what it is, but not much for all out performance. The 2 valve head is its limiting factor. The Quad-4 has 16 valves and uses a cam/bucket design. Good for amazing performance and high revs.

RobM
05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
what cars did the quad come in?

this would be going into a very light track T roadster. V8 might be a possibility now though.

we don’t want to get into fuel injection with this project so nothing late model will be in the cards unless its converted to carbs. And something with a distributor is also required.

I like the idea of the 22r because with some Webbers hanging off the side they actually look really nice. I may also go with an MG B motor (have you seen how stout the block is on one of those?!?)

Lowend
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.billzilla.org/starleteng.htm

ProTouring442
05-04-2007, 03:36 AM
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/oldsmobile_quad_4_combining_parts/index.html

I also think Street Rodder did a series of articles on the Quad, including carbs, finned timing covers, and other cool stuff, but I can't seem to find anything. I remember they talked about how you could make a Quad look a lot like an old Offy.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
'89 ASC/McLaren

RobM
05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
is the pinto engine the same 4 thats in the mustangs and t birds?

how easy are these to come by?

just trying to weigh out all of the options

ProTouring442
05-05-2007, 03:29 AM
is the pinto engine the same 4 thats in the mustangs and t birds?

how easy are these to come by?

just trying to weigh out all of the options

Yeah, it's pretty much the same engine as far as I know.

Hey, what about a BMW 3 series 4-cyl? DOHC, and the earlier ones come with carbs.

Just a thought.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
'89 ASC/McLaren

RobM
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM
that would be cool a bmw engine would make a one of a kind vehicle.

Any carb kits for miata engines?

Texas Hotrod
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
A track-T roadster? How about an old flat head V8? You're wanting it to look "old-school"? That would be the ultimate. I know of a local salvage yard that has several to choose from. Have you ever seen one? Those engines are tiny, I've seen aluminum finned heads on e-bay.
You'll get a lot of flack from using a Jap engine in an American hot rod. Stay away from the ricer motors.
An old Ford car deserves a Ford engine.
Plans for a rat rod, or will it be nice cruiser?

RobM
05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
flat head would be cool. yes I’ve seen one I’ve been around and working on traditional hot rods for a while. the reason i want a 4 banger is for a few reasons.

the track T's traditionally had 4s in them.. before the flat head v8 was in production

this car has to be able to drive cross country with out a hiccup OR spending more money then it cost to build the car in fuel

this isnt going to be a fat tired billet cruiser. its going to be built in a period influenced style

as far as keeping it all ford I’m to not too concerned with that the essence of hot rodding as far as I’m concerned is putting more power into your car, an what ever brand parts this happens to take to do this, is irrelevant. I think a 32 roadster with a blown hemi in it is just as cool as a flat head if not cooler. Or a T bucket with a Buick nail head is more interesting then a ford with a ford engine

I dont like to call them "rat rods" to me a rat rod is a hunk of crap that is unsafe to drive on the road

to me its just a hot rod built right:evil: :smoke: :headbang:

Texas Hotrod
05-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I agree w/the whole rat rod ordeal.
I guess I meant low budget: Something really nice, driveable and w/o all the billet stuff that takes away from the fun of it all.

I can see where reliability would be an issue. So, simpler is better.

I guess as long as it looks cool and goes down the road, it's all up to your imagination (and parts availability).
If it was my choice I'd do the Bimmer motor, but not the Toyota.

Good luck.

RobM
05-05-2007, 04:49 PM
we shall see. right now were in the parts gathering stage. im still looking for a good body. or at least a nice cowl and fire wall to start with. I'm planning on improving on the lack of room in a typical bucket.

wendell
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Either the 22R or the Pinto 2.3. Both have a ton of market support and are used extensively in racing. Circle track magazine did an article on building both motors a while ago. I think some of it is on their website. Good place to start. I'd avoid the other options in an effor to keep things simple.

boodlefoof
05-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I've been thinking about building a small open wheeled toy myself and considered some of the engines above, but am also considering using a 2-stroke snowmobile or perhaps a motorcycle engine.

There are many choices that will rev to the moon and will probably weigh half (or less) than the car engines described above. Granted, most of these only displace up to about 1200cc, but many still make well over 100 horsepower. You can pretty inexpensively go out and find a whole running snowmobile or motorcycle and pull the engine and transmission and then you just need to fab up a chain-driven differential for it. Then you also have the entire fuel and electrical system as well.

6'9"Witha69
05-08-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.esslingeracing.com/

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

I have dealt with Esslinger before (long time ago) and went to church with the family growing up. They really know their stuff.

wendell
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Esslinger was the name I wanted to drop but couldn't remember. I saw one of his heads a few months ago at my engine builders. Very trick. There's some really hot 4 stuff out there if you look at the circle track market.

RobM
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
i want this thing to be pretty traditional looking so i dont thing a bike engine is gonna cut it on this project.

RobM
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
I REALLY like slant six's

Lowend
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
HEAVY engines

Just curious - have you considered a Rotary?

RobM
05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
rotary is cool but not the look im going for. plus i cant warm up to the sound of those things. this cars gonna have open exhaust and i dont want it to sound like a cracked out weed wacker

Lowend
05-11-2007, 06:47 PM
can't blame you there, NOTHING sounds worse than an open pipe RX7