PDA

View Full Version : Question about gas caps...

trapin
05-02-2007, 11:07 AM
What determines if you'll need a vented or a non-vented cap?

My drivetrain is LS1 with fuel injection and I'll have a Walpro pump mounted inside the stock gas tank. The filter will be Corvette and have a return to the tank.

Thanks.

mdprovee
05-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I think it depends on if your tank has a vent line or openning for a line, or not.

Not sure.

parsonsj
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes. You need venting to allow fuel to flow to the engine without the tank drawing a vacuum.

It is useful to have venting to aid in filling the tank, but that's not required.

If your tank is vented, use a non-vented cap. If your tank is not vented, you must use a vented cap.

jp

trapin
05-03-2007, 03:53 AM
I just found out that it is not vented...so the cap will need to be.

Thanks guys. Just doing some investigating right now.

2yellow69
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Vented caps are VERY important if your tank is not vented!! Our gas cap was stolen off our 69 Camaro at a car show of all places. I went to Checker's for a new one and put it on. Over the next few weeks of driving the car every day, my neighbor and I were running outside once every night because it sounded like someone was throwing a baseball at the car. I also thought my fuel gauge was going bad because I would run out of gas at about 1/3rd of a tank. It turns out that my new non-vented cap on my old non-vented tank was causing the top of the tank to suck itself down about 3 inches and bend the fuel pickup. When it cooled down at night the sound we were hearing was the tank popping somewhat back into shape! Just shows how strong a standard fuel pump feeding a V-8 2bbl really is. Moral of the story is that I had to replace the tank, straps, fuel sender and of course the cap!!
Matt

dsapper
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
how can you tell if the cap is vented or not? I bought a replacement from checkers a few days ago that looks very close to the one that was already on my 69 camaro, the S shaped one.

I'm replacing a fuel tank/sending unit tomorrow and dont want to go through what you did 2yellow69.

And its funny because I was replacing all this because the bottom of the gas tank was caved in and bent the sending unit. I just thought some jackass before me jacked up the car with the tank or something but I'm wondering now if this is the cause? The gas gauge didnt work btw.

2yellow69
05-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't know how you would test it. I went to NAPA and told them what I needed. Haven't had a problem yet(it's been 3 years).
Matt

dsapper
05-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I would hope I was given the right cap but at these new parts stores its amazing you get anything right. You ask for fuel lines or a thermostat for a sb chevy and they ask you what year the car is and make/model lol.

Midnight68
05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Don't most newer fuel injected cars have non vented caps and are vented elsewere. I am switching to an LS2 so is a vented cap ok or should I add a vent from the tank itself and use a non-vented cap?

2yellow69
05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I once had a guy ask if I had power locks when I asked for a starter for a 69 Camaro. Was that even an option back then?
Hey Midnight68; It's your favorite guy with a yellow 69(and a mil-spec .45). And when are you gonna get that 4l80e out of my garage?
Matt