PDA

View Full Version : New Challenger assembly line

Brandon Miller
04-30-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.newhemitech.com/showthread.php?tid=152&pid=558#pid558

Boyd
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
SWEET! I'm anxious to see what the final pricing is. I've heard everything from mid $30's to low $50's. If they can keep the pricing under $37k, I will definitely put my name on the list.

And on another note, IMO this car is going to steal alot of thunder from Chevrolet. We are still 18mos away from the debut of the 5th gen Camaro and I'm already sick of seeing it in commercials, magazines, music videos, tv shows, Power Tour, etc;etc. DCX has done a great job of limiting the exposure of this car.

EFI69Cam
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
SWEET! I'm anxious to see what the final pricing is. I've heard everything from mid $30's to low $50's. If they can keep the pricing under $37k, I will definitely put my name on the list.

And on another note, IMO this car is going to steal alot of thunder from Chevrolet. We are still 18mos away from the debut of the 5th gen Camaro and I'm already sick of seeing it in commercials, magazines, music videos, tv shows, Power Tour, etc;etc. DCX has done a great job of limiting the exposure of this car.

What makes you sick makes other people want.

They sell lots of Escalades.

trapin
04-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Yep. And they can have whatever thunder they steal. There'll be plenty more thunder in '09. People don't just stop wanting hot cars for no reason. If you can build 'em...they'll want 'em.

By the way, my cousin is up there building those mules as we speak. I e-mailed him that link today, he says someone is going to lose their job over this. TTO = Tool Try Out.

Boyd
04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
The point I am trying to make is that GM is going to end up dangling the carrot in front of the donkey for far too long and some people are going to end up losing interest. Remember the SSR? Now granted, the SSR had ZERO heritage compared to the Camaro, but GM debuted the SSR as a production model a full two years before it came to fruition. By the time it went to production the "edge" had worn off. The design was no longer fresh. Now by no means am I comparing the new Camaro to the SSR, but you can't tell me that there will be just as much interest by the time it's built as there was when it was debuted.

Also, by flooding the media with images of the new Camaro, GM is building a lot of expectation and anticipation that could be difficult to live up to. How many times have you heard over and over about how great product "X" is and when you were finally able to purchase product "X", you thought to yourself, "this is it"?

I absolutely love the new Camaro. But I think that GM is doing itself a disservice by making the still-not-available-for-eighteen months Camaro so visible.

trapin
04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
You have a warrented concern, but pictures and die cast models will not compare to seeing one roll up to the corner of Fifth and Main. But I would tend to agree with you in toning down it's exposure a little. The problem is marketing thinks differently. They think that "because" the Challanger is going to beat Camaro to market that they have to get the car some kind of exposure so that it's constantly fresh in everyones mind. I know...a B.S. arguement. But that's marketing for you.

LMDGUY
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
I was told by my Chrysler Rep. this weekend that they push the release date back 10 months.

BonzoHansen
04-30-2007, 07:47 PM
...but pictures and die cast models will not compare to seeing one slide through the corner of Fifth and Main....Fixed.

bigvegan
04-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Between sliding release dates and the potential for $4 a gallon gasoline, they'd better price the Camaro and Challenger right and make sure they're recall free for the first few months of release.

Otherwise the new Hybrid Supra is going to eat their lunch.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203557/son_of_supra_will_be_a_hybrid.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4208623.html

GM and Chrysler really need a big win, let's hope they come through on these.

Restomod
05-01-2007, 07:15 AM
The first year in production of the new Challenger you will not be able to touch one for sticker unless you buy and pay CASH for it NOW. Price gouging and markups over sticker will be in full effect..........
And if the Supra ever hits the US...please re read above.........

trapin
05-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Fixed.

LOL! That's more like it.

trapin
05-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Between sliding release dates and the potential for $4 a gallon gasoline, they'd better price the Camaro and Challenger right and make sure they're recall free for the first few months of release.

Otherwise the new Hybrid Supra is going to eat their lunch.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203557/son_of_supra_will_be_a_hybrid.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4208623.html

GM and Chrysler really need a big win, let's hope they come through on these.

Yikes! That thing looks like a George Foreman Grille on wheels.

I'm sure they'll sell their share though...because it says "Toyota" on it. Still at the end of the day I'm willing to bet most enthusiasts will take an American musclecar over a 6 banger. We'll let the tuner guys worry about the Supra.:smoke:

wantahertzdonut
05-01-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm sure they'll sell their share though...because it says "Toyota" on it. Still at the end of the day I'm willing to bet most enthusiasts will take an American musclecar over a 6 banger. We'll let the tuner guys worry about the Supra.:smoke:

No worries, they won't sell any. Toyota themselves have said time and again there will be no Supra, and if there is they won't make it a hybrid. It would probably have a 4th gen UF-ZE V8, not a V10 like the article.

There was a concept car that resembled the one like this in the article but most of that design went into a Lexus performance sedan (I think it will be called the IS-F or something to that effect)

McssGmachine
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
And if the Supra comes to the U.S. it will cost more than a Camaro or Challenger.

BonzoHansen
05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I was told by my Chrysler Rep. this weekend that they push the release date back 10 months.
This would put the Dodge & the Camaro on a collision course, no?

Ralph LoGrasso
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
That supra is FUGLY. The last supra '94-? was a nice looking car, but that thing is just :barf:

JEFFTATE
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
The SSR went away because it wasn't functional enough.
You couldn't really do anything with it. Except look at it and go wow .
That wears off after a while.
The Camaro should be able to perform well and impress potential buyers.
The SSR really had a small market that got saturated pretty quick.

trapin
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
The SSR was always intended to be a niche vehicle. My Dad has one and with the LS2 it really gets up and goes for a 4600 pound vehicle. But my opinion always was that we should have passed on the retractable roof thing and the fancy bed and tried to increase the market for them. It is what it is...err, was what it was.

Kenova
05-02-2007, 01:11 PM
The SSR was always intended to be a niche vehicle. My Dad has one and with the LS2 it really gets up and goes for a 4600 pound vehicle. But my opinion always was that we should have passed on the retractable roof thing and the fancy bed and tried to increase the market for them. It is what it is...err, was what it was.
I agree. The retractable roof and finished bed should have been optional. It would also have been easy to build a two door Suburban type truck on the very same platform.
Ken

camaro608
05-02-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm sure they'll sell their share though...because it says "Toyota" on it. Still at the end of the day I'm willing to bet most enthusiasts will take an American musclecar over a 6 banger. We'll let the tuner guys worry about the Supra.:smoke:its not the fact that its a TOYOTA its a :hail: SUPRA!! :hand:

Ralph LoGrasso
05-02-2007, 08:07 PM
I still think the new challenger needs to be shorter on the sides. Raise the rockers up about 6" (too look more like a 70, instead of the "billboard" style quarter/door they have now) and you're golden. That, and shave off about 750lbs.