PDA

View Full Version : Need BBC Intake Port Dimensions

calereeves
12-16-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm trying work up some cad drawings of a custom BBC intake manifold, but so far I haven't been able ot find a drawing, or even just some information on port dimensions, and location on the head. Is there anyplace on the internet that has a detail drawing of the intake ports on a rectangle port BBC head?

I'm off at school right now and can't just go out and measure it, but I guess if nothing else, I'll just have to wait until Christmas break to actually measure for myself.

Thanks,
Cale

442olds
12-21-2004, 08:58 PM
You could always reverse engineer the gasket. But flange angles would be another thing. What cad software are you using? I have a bbc partially modled in pro/e its pretty rough though. I can export it in iges form if your using something else.

calereeves
12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm using AutoCAD, never used pro/e before... what is the extension on pro/e drawing files? AutoCAD uses ".dwg" tags, maybe the programs are compatible? A lot of stuff will work with autocad...?

442olds
12-23-2004, 06:44 AM
I can export pro/e and get it into autocad, no problem. Just have to make sure the iges translator is up and running on autocad.

Some cad packages may have the same file extensions, like pro/e and unigraphics have .prt as the file extension for a part but the two programs will not read each others parts in even with the same file extension. Pro/e does have a translator to spit out the .dwg file but all you get is a 2d drawing not a 3d solid. And really being a cad jocky for the past three years, no a lot of stuff will not work with autocad unless you have all the proper translators.

All I ask is that if you make any improvements to my orginal models that you send them back to me so I can add those features to my stuff.

I have been working on measureing an oval port felpro gasket for the intake stuff but that was put on the backburner for now.

I'll let you know when the files will be available. I should be able to get to it this weekend.

442olds
12-26-2004, 07:08 AM
http://www.et-motorsports.cc/tech/big_block_from_iges.dwg

This should help you get started. I wish it looked better but I don't have a full copy of the casting drawings. All I had to go on were the few dimensions in my chevy power book. And if they would have dimensioned a stock head rather than the symetracal port big block head there would be the information you require as well. If you do anything to this model all I ask is that you share your improvements with me.

If anyone else has more detailed information on the block dimensions, like the motor mount locations, or a set of casting drawings, I would be more than willing to model the entire thing right from casting drawings. Wink Wink someone in gm wink wink have any access.