PDA

View Full Version : rim size and traction?

Pro-touring towncar
12-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I am wanting to put aftermarket rims on the towncar. Because of the upgraded brakes I need to go atleast 16" . I heard that larger diameter rims affect traction. Would I have to big a problem with traction going with 17s or 18s. :3gears:

Tim

Ralph LoGrasso
12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Generally speaking, larger diameter wheels and more importantly shorter sidewalls will have a detrimental impact on traction, but will lend to better handling. You could go with drag radials to help regain some traction though.

TonyL
12-16-2004, 08:54 PM
indeed. what ralph said.

the difference would only be noticable on a "drag" type car though. remember that camaros, corvettes and mustangs put down decent times in factory trim with "low profile" rubber on them and only gain a few tenths or so with slicks. Is there a difference? yes. Is that difference detectible to the average street/performance car? Not so much. PHR did a story on it. I'll see if i can find the info.

JLM
12-27-2004, 03:15 PM
it's as much about the type of tire you use as well as the sidewall height. Lower profile tires generally must be stiffer in the side walls to support the load. Because the tire is stiff it doesn't deal well with a shock (such as a clutch drop from a stand still) as well as a tire with a lot of sidewall. However picking the right tire can deffinately help you out with traction. As stated above, drag radials are a good option. They don't have a very long tread life on them however, especially if you are an agressive driver and use them as they were designed. Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the drag radials don't give you much better effect than a high quality high performance tire unless you heat them up which aids in decreasing traction life. I would recomend a tire like the Eagle F1 GS-D3, or if you have a few bucks to spend BFG KD's. They are probably the best dry traction tire you can get that's not a drag radial.

gmachinz
01-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Another option is the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's-stiffer sidewalls, wide design/softer tread compound gives you great handling and excellent traction control. -Jabin