PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tag Removal

TheMonkey
04-25-2007, 07:11 AM
i have a '61 Pontiac at the body shop. i would like to have the trim tag removed from the cowl during the work (near driver's side hood hinge), so i can clean it up and re-fasten it, maybe even have a reproduction made.

the body shop is not familiar with the rules regarding this. as far i know, this tag can be removed for restoration, but not the tag inside the driver's door.

does anyone know the rules in particular, and where i can reference them? is it state by state? car is in TX, and i'll prob trailer it back to MN before re-fastening the tag.

thanks,
Scott.

HILROD
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
It is not illegal to remove a cowl tag. The resto guys will be able to tell it was removed though. If it a stock resto you are doing, document what you are doing, maybe pictures would be enough. They sell reproduction rivets to hold the tags on.

SimplyKC
04-25-2007, 11:12 AM
The trim tag has no legal bearing whatsoever. You can get the rivets you need here:

http://www.trimtags.com/rivets.html

Bow Tie 67
04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
The trim tag has no legal bearing whatsoever. You can get the rivets you need here:

Unless some moron tranfers that number to the title at some point. That is the situation I had when I bought my car, thank God I was able to fix it when I titled the car in IL. By the way my trim tag was removed from the car but in my possesion. Then I just explained to the officer what all the numbers meant, he did a search on the actual vin which did not come up in any database, and was told to fill out the paperwork with whatever number I wanted. :seizure: I settled for the correct vin number.