PDA

View Full Version : 3 point shoulder harness in 69 camaro...

rbr4155
12-16-2004, 09:04 AM
I have a 69 camaro and want to set up the typical 3 point seatbelt setup found in daily driver cars. Is it possible to rig a seatbelt up coming from the back seat mount in the roof, and is this safe? Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate all tips and advice I can get.

Ryan

Steve Chryssos
12-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah that's the hot ticket for the street. Mounting to the roof it correct. Go buy yourself a copy of Street Rodder magazine and you will find a few sources. I believe Larry Callahan knows of a source as well.

I have 5-point race harnesses mounted to a roll cage, but I want to install modern 3 point belts as well.

Larry Callahan
12-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Try http://www.customaccessoriesmfg.com/

Simple bolt in with no extra holes. I will install these and a 5 point harness if I can.

Please tell them where you heard about them if you call.

69Rathead
12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
What happens to the old shoulder harness mounting point in the roof or does the 3 point for Camaros that this company sells utilize it? In the install photos on the Mustang they drill a new hole but maybe because the Mustang did not have a shoulder Harness to begin with...anyone know? Thanks for any inputs...been wanting to do this sometime. Also I think Camaroboy69 installed 4th gens in his but don't know the specifics on it.

Martin71RS
12-17-2004, 02:52 AM
it looks like it won't work with bucket seats....(like in my 71 Camaro) belt will slide down the side I think.

sanddan
12-17-2004, 10:38 AM
I used those on a 69 Chev pickup, my daily driver for 2 years, and they worked great. I plan on added these to my camaro before it hits the road.
Dan

dhardison
12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
In my '70 Nova I'm planning on using the factory overhead mount for the front upper mount. It's a little farther back than I like (it's centered over the rear window), but it's a good easy mount point to use. I don't see why the same wouldn't be true for your '71 Camaro.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to mount the upper mount for the REAR 3-point belts?

I'd thought about mounting it in the trunk under the package tray and route the shoulder harness belt through a slot in the package tray itself. Any other ideas??

Dan

dhardison
12-17-2004, 11:25 AM
I've heard good things about these 3-point belt companies as well.

http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/nonresebe.html

http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts1.htm

Dan

birdman3r
12-23-2004, 07:41 PM
I just read an article about this in the winter 2004 issue of Camaro Performer magazine. It features a photo installation guide and uses units from Car Guys Safety and Accessories. $180 per set

www.carguysoforange.com (http://www.carguysoforange.com)

dhardison
12-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Birdman, Did they only install 3-point belts in the front or the back as well?

Dan

rbr4155
12-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Guys,
Thanks for all the useful feedback. I wanted to add that if anyone gets that mustang set, may want to fab. up a steel plate to compliment that small washer shown under the car. I've read up on all this a little more and they always seem to recommend solid mounting points with a little more reinforcement than just a washer which could rip through the floor.
I think all this is an important topic cause none of us want to hit the dash or wheels on our rods in the event of a wreck because the dash safety on these cars are obviously light years behind. Be careful out there!

69Rathead
12-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the input and handy links. Pretty much answers most of my questions. Sure would like to go to a 3 point retractable as I can't stand my stock '69 Camaro belts...and seats for that matter!

DarkBuddha
12-31-2004, 04:00 PM
I thought I'd offer one more source, since they're cheaper than almost every other place I've seen for the same quality stuff... http://161.58.79.191/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+ghxv0337ff80e980+-p+-c+scstore.cfg+VSE23286001 . I bought a pair with the mounting hardware kit for my '70 Mach 1 for under $120 shipped.

Quality is OEM (or better if you compare to my '92 Saturn) and they fit well. I'm a big guy (5'11" and pushing 4 bills) and when I mentioned I needed long belts, they said the graphite colored ones were longer for some unknown reason... they are nice and long but I wish I'd gotten a proper black. Anyway, here's a pic of them installed...

Hope this helps.

jigga99
02-17-2005, 01:04 PM
does any one know how to get a hold of car guys of orange non of the phone #s work i really like the setup they have, vary good artical in camaros winter 2004

69Rathead
02-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Need to be more specific than "car guys of orange". Try searching Google. Nothing beats Google and remember a good Spell check can help us all on helping you. I'll check the current Camaro Performers (I think this is what you mean) and post what I can find out...I'm lookin' too. :fingersx:

69Rathead
02-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Jigga I checked the Camaro Performers mag and found the link: http://www.carguysoforange.com I tried the number also and see what you mean about the number not working! The product looks pretty good and after being in the mag you'd think they would update thier number! Might try emailing them for a valid number. Also check out the link DarkBuddha lists above...look pretty good too.

jigga99
02-18-2005, 09:59 AM
thanks rathead thats who i meant, tryed emailing them nothing yet? really nice setup they have and its not that old of a mag 2 months?

69Rathead
02-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I emailed them as well. Maybe they got too much business...shut down the lines :crying: Kind of strange! And your right that Mag is recent it is still on the shelves and will be till mid March! Let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same if I do. I am ready to buy some new belts as I just can't stand the old 2 point belts.

jigga99
02-19-2005, 12:17 PM
will do, it would be nice to find out were they get them from,

ss dave
04-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I just recieved my 3pt. interia belts from the "orange guys", apparently they had 1500 inquires from that Performers article and were overwhelmed. I am going to install them in the next few weeks. If interested in how it turns out e-mail me and i'll let you know. I'll look on the box and see if I can find the manufacturer.

69Rathead
04-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks SS. Please keep us posted, I definitely want to see pics etc. when you are done. I received an email from them 3 weeks or so ago but have not contacted them as I have been busy. I definitely want to go to a 3 point system so I'm interested to see how it turns out and how stock attachment points are used or if you have to drill/fab new ones or not in a standard Camaro coupe. Thx for the post.

ss dave
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Rat, I'll let you know. Send pics when done. My Camaro is a convert so it will be different from the coupe, the harness attaches to the rear side panel via modification, but from what I can tell the male end still uses the stock attachment next to the tranny tunnel. I'll give details because there seems to be alot of interest in this setup.

69Rathead
04-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply SS but I've seen the install on a convertible in the Camaro performers and another brand has a Convetible install on thier website. I just figured odds were you had a coupe and I have been trying to find someone who has installed them on a coupe to find out if you can use the stock roof mounts or if you have to bring them forward some and modify a different area. I just had a new headliner put in and don't want to have to do it over. I'll just give them a call and ask I'm sure you use the stock mounts anyhow just wanted to make sure before I buy them.

Woody
05-06-2005, 06:33 AM
For anyone interested in installing 3-point belts for first gen Camaros check out this thread at Camaros.net

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56908

dhardison
05-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I just installed these same belts in my '70 Nova. Here's the thread:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7162

Dan

Woody
05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
I just got mine installed yesterday on a 68 Camaro. If anyone wants to see pics let me know.

69Rathead
05-16-2005, 08:41 AM
What year did they go to the 3 point system? I thought it was '69? How did you attach the Shoulder belt or did your '68 already have a 3 point system in it? A friend of mine has a '67 with a great original headliner and although he would like to go to a 3 point system he is hesitant about doing so because of the headliner and concerns about how to attach the shoulder belt to the roof area. If you can send me a few pics and any useful info on how to attach the shoulder in a 2 point car if this was what you had to do that would be awesome. Thx!

Woody
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
What year did they go to the 3 point system? I thought it was '69? How did you attach the Shoulder belt or did your '68 already have a 3 point system in it? A friend of mine has a '67 with a great original headliner and although he would like to go to a 3 point system he is hesitant about doing so because of the headliner and concerns about how to attach the shoulder belt to the roof area. If you can send me a few pics and any useful info on how to attach the shoulder in a 2 point car if this was what you had to do that would be awesome. Thx!

69 Rathead, It is my understanding that some 67s had provisions for three-point belts and all 68s and 69s do. Not all 68s and 69s came standard with shoulder belts, but I believe all have the shoulder belt mount in the roof area as do many of the 67s. On 68 and 69s there are two threaded holes just behind the clothes hanger location. Mine were 4.25" and 6.25" to the back of the screw that holds the clothes hanger on the roof area. I was able to feel the locations through the headliner. On 67s, the location is more forward but I am not exactly sure where. The seatbelts I purchased mounted directly to the stock floor locations and to the factory roof mount. Installation is simple, just take out the old lap belts, mount the female part of the belt to the tunnel side, mount the reel to the door side, and the upper portion of the belt mounts to the factory location in the roof. Here are a few pictures. Let me know if you have any other questions.

69Rathead
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Woody, Thanks for all the info...we'll check my buddys car. I'm sure he'll want these if he has the roof attachments to make them work. Thanks for uploading pics too.

69Rathead
06-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Just got my 3 point belts in from Morris Classic. Have not installed them yet but I can tell you after examining them they are of top notch quality. Can't wait to put them in. I got them for the $239 intro price which is good through June and then it goes up to $299 again. Total with shipping was $254.

Damn True
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Wondering how that retractor mounting and roof mount point might interfere with a cage?

MBuckner3917
08-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Anyone ever put a shoulder belt in a 69 Camaro convertible?

If so, where did you order the belt from? How was the installation?

Thanks in advance

morrisclassic
08-17-2005, 05:56 PM
This is the information and research that I have found about seatbelts in a convertible. Some people will disagree with these points but these are facts. The seatbelt anchor point must be above the shoulder, mounted
to a factory designated point in the body strong enough to with stand the extreme pressures exerted to stop the forward movement of one's body.
We have a 3 point seatbelt system that uses factory mounting points but in the event of an accident you would most likely suffer at least a broken collar bone or possible some other types of compression injuries. There just hasn't been enough testing and design on convertibles to make a
set that is as reliable as those in a hardtop.

Billy

Damn True
10-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Anyone install one of these systems in a car with a cage? I am particularly interested in how the retractor assembly might package in relation to a sill bar, and how the upper point might interact with the main hoop.

Anyone?