PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln precision 375 tig $$??

RaceMan
04-23-2007, 12:19 PM
A friend of mine wants to sell his machine , he just doesn't need it . He got it at an auction for $4,200 and used it for about 10 hours in the last year . Its like brand new!!! I can get it for $3500 !! Has anyone had any experiance with this machine ,its way overkill for me but at that price I'm thinking I should do it.

Thanks for any info :hmm:

RobM
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
they are defiantly a nice machine, is the torch liquid cooled? air cooled is okay for light duty use but they do get hot. if it is air cooled id suggest converting it to water cooling.

also i really like the pulsing feature

i say go for it though. The school i went to uses Lincoln TIG machines and they get the crap beaten out of them for 16 hours a day and still weld nicely

RobM
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
does the welder come with every thing that is needed to be operational?

RaceMan
04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
The machine is complete even has the option with the adjustable switch on the torch (don't have to use the pedal) and has the pedal also with spares of everthing, 2nd switch,,2nd torch,all consumables .It is water cooled too
Like I said it looks not far from new .Its ready to go only needs gas bottles

formula98
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Thats a great price! I would go for it!

RaceMan
04-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the input guys!!!! I told the guy I'd take it , he even said I could pay him whenever !! Now I just have to figure out how to use it lol :bananna2:

Ricoch3T
04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
How easy it is to convert air to water cooled?

they are defiantly a nice machine, is the torch liquid cooled? air cooled is okay for light duty use but they do get hot. if it is air cooled id suggest converting it to water cooling.

also i really like the pulsing feature

i say go for it though. The school i went to uses Lincoln TIG machines and they get the crap beaten out of them for 16 hours a day and still weld nicely

wendell
05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
You need a water cooled torch and a chiller.

wendell
05-08-2007, 07:44 AM
The lincon 375 is a tranformer machine right? If so $3500 a bit steep. Regardless of how new the machine is folks are getting rid of them for inverters as fast as they can. While it's attractive to buy it from a friend and you know what you're getting, there are a lot of big tigs around for cheep. I found my sycrowave 300 (375Amps) in Gloucester at a marine fab shop that was making the switch to dynastys. Cost me $1000 total for everything after I bought a new Weldtech 250A torch.

Again, there's a lot to be said for knowing what you're getting from some one you know. Just some food for thought.

RaceMan
05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Wendall!!! I did buy it allready. I'm not sure about the transformer part?? but they sell the machine new for over 7,000 list.
Its in great shape too with spares. Thanks for yopur input.!!

wendell
05-08-2007, 11:48 AM
It's a transformer machine if it's the size of a refridgerator and needs its own coal plant to supply input amperage.

It's a inverter if it's the size of a toaster and is covered with little buttons and read outs that require you to actually read the owners manual.

Regardless you'll have a ton of fun with it and in 6 months you'll wonder how you lived with out it. Look on ebay for a chiller and a water cooled torch. A series 20 (good to 250A) torch should cover everything you'll ever need. Get a good torch with good quality lines. There's something bothersome about running 250A through a torch that's dripping water down your elbow.

Drop me a line if you have any questions on setting it up. I'm not a guru (like Matt at LD) but us m*******s have to stick together.

RaceMan
05-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks !!!! It does have a torch and a water cooler , I'm still trying to figure it out lol . It came with the optional water cooler and the guy gave me a spare torch with lines for water he said. The second torch is a alot bigger and he said I'd probably never use it. I found a good miller Tig Handbook online http://millerwelds.com/education/TIGhandbook/ its been very helpful so far but I haven't used the machine yet .It also has alot of buttons and I'd say you have to know what to set them at before using, I might take you up on some info some time THANKS !!!!!

wendell
05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
No sweat. There's actually not a lot to TIG at a basal level. Like most things in life, they can be as involved as you want them to be. Water cooled torch will have three lines. The regular threaded line is for gas. The reverse thread that's hot is your current and also your water return. The remaining reverse thread is water out of the chiller.

The Miller book should give you enough info to determine the settings provided that the icons on the knobs roughly correlate.

Shoot a close up pic of the control panel and I can walk you through the basics.