PDA

View Full Version : Softest Suspension for 69 camaro

rbr4155
12-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Hey Guys,
Just got my 69 finally and man does it take a bump hard. I'm looking for the best bolt on mods I can do to make this old girl take a bump good while keeping her low tough stance. It isn't lowered too much though. Are air ride better than gas? What can and do i need to switch out? Polyurethane bushings, which ones and are they hard to swap? Thanks tons for your feedback in advance. This is going to be a big help in getting this car closer to where I want her.

Thanks,
Ryan

David Pozzi
12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
what is on it now?

rbr4155
12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
i believe some lowered aftermarket springs and some old gas shocks. just looking for the best i can put in place of all that to get a soft daily driver. I only go straight when I haul a$$ so don't need stiff setup for hitting turns. Thanks!

RighteousReaper
12-16-2004, 05:55 PM
The words "soft" and "camaro" just don't go together. I would recommend buying a Cadillac. :)

Mean 69
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Taking bumps "hard" sounds like you might have a shock absorber issue. With the modifications most folks on this site use, "firm" is a better descriptor of how the car rides. If hitting bumps is really harsh, my guess (given that you haven't stated specifically what the car has on it now) is that the shocks, or worn out bushings are the culprit.

And by the way, you probably don't want poly bushings on your car, they really aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Specific questions, with specific details, will get you specific answers.

Mark

69Rathead
12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Mark, What are some of the issues with POLY? Just curious as I was under the impression they were pretty good...hey maybe I've been brainwashed by the POLYticians too! :screwy: Hope I did the right thing by buying all new Polygraphite bushings etc. to rebuild the front end with...just completed the back with the 1.5" lowered leafs and Poly bushings. Backend seems much better with less vibration, but anything would seem great to the 37 yr old spring/bushings I had! Main issue I have heard of before is squeaking that is why I bought the Graphite impregnated...if it even really works! Thanks for any input....TheRat

yody
12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, if you want to know why poly bushigns are bad ask, Dennis68, he knows all about it(well at least he thinks he does :secret: ) I would recommend the edelbrock IAS shocks, they give a very nice ride and still will help your car handle well. IF they don't super smooth it out, they are still a nice addition to have. If you do research these are a good shock but there are better shocks for all out hanlding.

baz67
12-17-2004, 04:22 AM
Ryan, I agree with the guys hear. You would be well of with a new set of shocks. The IAS are a good choice as are the QA1's. These are both lesser priced quality shocks. You also can not go wrong with a set of Bilsteins.

The problem with poly bushings is that the poly is sticky. That is why they squeek. They can also cause suspension bind due to the added friction. Keeping them well lubricated can help lessen this. The Del-a-lum bushings from Global West are a great bushing if you want to pay the price for them.

Brian

derekf
12-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Yody, I'm not sure what you were trying to say with your Dennis comment, but I don't think it was particularly appropriate.

On A-bodies and other cars with converging 4-link suspensions, the bushings must deflect in order for the suspension to work - the links move in different arcs, and if you put something that will not allow the twisting motion needed in your control arms, you will get bind and it will affect your handling.

On your F-body, you don't have the converging 4-link suspension, you've got leaf springs... so you don't have those particular bind issues with poly, only the poor lube bind issues. The other issues, including increased NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) and squeaking remain, however.

yody
12-17-2004, 01:04 PM
sorry master moderator sir! Dennis seems to know about the polyurethane bushings and I am sure could explain it very well, sorry for poking fun at him :rolleyes: leaf spring suspensions move also. on the rear i would think when the leaf spring moves or the arc changes or however you want to explain it, that the bushings will try and rotate, which will create bind and squeek if hte bushings aren't greased, also using the polyurethane in the front spring pocket will create bind which you can control with turning the rear sway bar or just not using one. For the most part, almost all polyurethane busshings will eventually dry out. You will be rewarded with big time squeekiness and lots of bind. When I took out my leaf springs, the poly's that i had lubed when i put it, wouldn't even budge out of the rear frame rail, i took a lot of force to get them out of hte spring too. THey were totally dry and sucked. i know have del a lum's and will never have to worry about any of those problems ever again!

rbr4155
12-17-2004, 05:30 PM
so what bushings are the best to go with here, and is it in my favor to just switch out the shocks first and see from there? Also for a guy who has rebuilt one engine and my grill how much trouble would the bushings be for me to switch out?

Thanks again for all the feedback and info in advance.

yody
12-17-2004, 05:52 PM
i would try the shocks first, and then go onto the suspesion. SUspesnison isn't that hard but takes some tools and force and know-how, but anyone can do it.

streetk14
12-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Ryan,
I have had good luck with PST's polygraphite bushings in the past. I do agree that the Global West del a lum's are the way to go no matter what the car is designed to do. The downside is the price. They are a lot more pricey than other bushings. You should inspect the upper bushings, which can be easily seen from under the hood. If the bushing is badly cracked or non-existant, then you know you have a problem. How old is the rest of the suspension? When I got my '68 a little over 5 years ago, the suspension was all original (minus the shocks) including the ball joints! Check if the upper ball joints are riveted to the control arm. If so, they are original. If they are bolted in, they have been replaced at some time. Even if your car isn't going to be a G-machine, a good front end rebuild is one of the first things you should consider doing to the car. good luck
Andy