PDA

View Full Version : Sta-bil?

RobM
04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Well the gas went bad in the camaro because between going to school and the winter the same gas has been sitting in the fuel system for a long time. ..

So this time around I’m going to ad STA-BIL because the car isn’t completed yet and the same tank of gas will probably sit in the car for a bit.

My questions are… how well does this stuff actually work? And does it affect the quality of the gas? I’m mainly concerned about detonation. The engine runs fine on 91 octane will adding this stuff make it ping?

ProTouring442
04-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Well the gas went bad in the camaro because between going to school and the winter the same gas has been sitting in the fuel system for a long time. ..

So this time around I’m going to ad STA-BIL because the car isn’t completed yet and the same tank of gas will probably sit in the car for a bit.

My questions are… how well does this stuff actually work? And does it affect the quality of the gas? I’m mainly concerned about detonation. The engine runs fine on 91 octane will adding this stuff make it ping?

I've never used it in a car before, but I have used it in my boat and my motorcycles quite often, and it didn't seem to cause any negative effects on performance or drivablilty. All of my bikes have been air cooled, and I haven't noticed any pinging.

New gas does go bad quickly these days! My uncle is fighting this in his V-Max... I told him to add Sta-Bil!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
'89 ASC/McLaren
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442

1982ccz-28
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I have used it for years in my hot rod for winter storage that can last up to 6 months. I started using it after having gas go bad one time years ago and the new formulation of gas today is good for about 30-60 days if you are lucky, by the articles I have read about it. No more sticky valves, seats, etc. I also use it in the gas cans for my lawn mower and 2 cycle gas as well. Works great..

fast Ed
04-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Worked fine for me after the winter with Sunoco 94 octane in my T-Bird Super Coupe. No detonation with 16 lbs. of boost going. :)

cheers
Ed N.

Adam's 55 Chevy
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Drain out the old and refil with new when it's time.