PDA

View Full Version : 15/16 master on C5 front brakes?

130fe
12-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I was wondering if there are any downsides to putting a 15/16 master on a C5 front/C4 rear set up (power). I know the C5's originally came with a 1 inch bore master. I have read on other boards that 4th gen F Body people (LT1) have changed to the C5 front and not changed the master. Any help would be appreciated.

dukes68
12-15-2004, 01:50 PM
I would not reccomend this size for a power application. The 15/16 in manual form is more than adequate and has incredible stopping power. I would get a 1" 67-76 manual corvette master cylinder for a power application. They have a deep pushrod, but the older/ original boosters have a deep pushrod so it won't matter. You should be able to pic up one at any parts store remanufactured for about $25.00. They are available new as well. Hope this helps
Jonathan

http://www.touring-classics.com

68sixspeed
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
If it helps I ran quite a few years on a c4 front/rear setup with the 1" bore on a dual diaphram booster. I changed to a 92 corvette (c4) 15/16 master cyl (on the same booster) this year. Much better pedal feel. (electric vacuum pump used in both cases).

-Dan

George
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
I am running the 4th gen master on power brakes, which I believe is a 1" bore. But the pedal feels a bit hard, so the 15/16 sounds like a better option. What years have a 15/16 besides a 92 vette?

Rick Dorion
12-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Goerge, in manual mode on my C4 13" front setup, with a 15/16" MC, there was a vast difference in changing pads which you might find easier than a MC swap. When I went from Performance Friction to Hawk HP plus pads, the pedal feel improved significantly as well as braking responce.

WS6
12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
as for the pads. i currently run hawk HPS pads on my formula. i love them. ive driven a number of C4s and C5s with performance friction z rated pads. these pads are ok. they need heat before they start working well and even then they feel weird. ive broken in a number of pairs and they really do work once warmed up, but they dont feel like they are. hawk HPS pads are a much better choice overall.

WS6
12-16-2004, 05:28 PM
oh and the original point of my reply was that i will be using C5 front brakes on my formula as well. ive got the brackets just need to get the rest of the stuff. theres no need to change ou the MC on my car to use these calipers. the guy who designed the brackets(bob bishop) has a 94 Z and has run road atlanta and many other road course with his design on the front. no problems from anyone. hands down his brackets are the best availible for this conversion and theres no other changes needed.