PDA

View Full Version : A few pics of my turbo project

my72vette454
12-15-2004, 07:30 AM
here are a couple o pics of my 72 vette turbo project. I will post a few more as things progress. A friend is building an aluminum filter box to sit over the valve cover on each side, I am using 2 late model ford pickup panel type filters. They will be up in the cowl hood and will suck fresh air from the windshield area. I am going to use the fiberglass factory type sidepipe covers to go over the sidepipes.

Mike

JLM
12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Looks good, pretty cramped in there. What turbo/s are you using?

Twin_Turbo
12-28-2004, 08:08 AM
I can hardly see it, the pics are tiny. What are you using for exhaust?

I have a twin turbo vette in the works also but it's a smallblock. Why did you cut out the gills? For cooling? I did the same but my intercoolers sit behind them. Here's mine, no inner fenders (but it did fit w/ them in place)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/enginebaycomplete3JPG-1.jpg

JLM
12-28-2004, 09:07 AM
I can hardly see it, the pics are tiny.
The pics are thumbnails, click on them and it'll take you to the larger pics.

Twin_Turbo
12-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I know they are thumbnails but the full views aren't a lot bigger than those.

my72vette454
12-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Sorry about the small pics, still learning how to shrink my pics. The turbos I am using to start out with are rajay 301E80's. I was going to make the exhaust out of 304 stainless but decided to do it with mild steel first as its easier to work with and cheap and it seems like you always want to go back and change a few things so when I get it the way I like it I will redo it with the stainless. For the headers I picked up a set of heddman block huggers off e bay then used 16 ga mandrel bent u bends to go down under the frame and back up in the fenderwell behind the tires to where the turbos sit. Then back down under the fender and out with the sidepipes. I have tial 38 mm gates that y off the pipe just before the turbo and right now I am just dumping them, later I will tie them into the exhaust pipe. The hot side plumbing worked out really good and I have plenty of room everywhere, my pipes are 1 inch higher than the oil pan so I have good clearance. I could have gone back under the frame and connected to the stock exhaust but was thinking that getting the exhaust out from under the car would make it a little cooler inside as old sharks are known for being a "hot" ride anyway. I am waiting for the second wastegate to get here so I can finish up the hot side then I can start it and see how it sounds. I am waiting on the intercooler to get here before I can start fabbing up the intake system. Twin turbo, what year is your vette? got any more pics of it? What are the specs of your engine and turbo setup?

Mike

JLM
12-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Interesting. So it's a twin turbo setup with both turbos positioned on what I'm assuming is the driver side of the car correct? Any reason why you opted to do twins with this type of setup vs a larger single since you routed exhaust to that side anyway (if I'm understanding correctly)

Twin_Turbo
12-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Mike, if you need a pic hosted I could do it for you, no need to resize, I have gigs of space. Also, I could easily shrink the pic so it doesn't spread outside the screen.

Mine is an 82 & 80 combined into 1 :) but hardly anything is stock anymore. The block is just a .030 350 w/ JE 22cc dished pistons, carillo 6" rods and a HTC crank, 2 bolts converted to splayed mains, lower part of block filled w/ block rock and 414 heads (still need to get some aluminium ones but I want brodix w/ shaft rockers and they cost a lot, especially over her in the Netherlands), the engine now has a wet sump but when run in properly I will swap on my 5 stage dry sump system and a seperate scavenge pump & scavenge manifold for the turbos. The turbos are RotoMaster T04B .60ar/S-4 trim. Wastegates are 2 port & spring adjustable rotomasters, custom bov, custom cast manifolds (they look like banks but they are not, look at where the waste gate is), manifold is custom cast, carbs are dellorto DHLA45M tri jets from a lotus esprit turbo US edition (europeans had 40s, they are pressure tight) Intercoolers are behr alu/carbon end tanks from callaways the speiss project. That's about it for the more interesting parts there.

Here's some other pics but I don't want to hijack your thread.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/enginemounted23JPG-1.jpg

and the flip front (home made)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/enginemounted25JPG-1.jpg

ZF 6 speed
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/11/transmounted16JPG-1.jpg

shmoov69
12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Insane stuff guys! Very cool!

my72vette454
12-29-2004, 03:32 AM
Its a twin turbo with a turbo on both sides. I did the drivers side first as I had to mount the turbo so the inlet on the compressor comes through between the steering shaft and the clutch rod with the inlet pipe going under the master cylinder then curving up over the valve cover to an air box over the valve cover. The passenger side turbo was set up to match. I got the other wastegate last night and finished welding the exhaust pipes up and started it....sounds like an old truck...lol. Gotta figgure out some kinda muffler setup for it to tone it down a bit. Now all I gotta do is fab up all the cold side, redo all the fuel system, go through the carb and set it up for blowthrough...maybe in a few months I can actually drive it. Twin turbo, I didnt cut out the gills, mine are aluminum inserts that come out by taking out a couple of screws. You cant even see the piping in there with them in place. I just changed computers so I will have to take some more pics and get them on here. I'm kinda computer illigetimate so it takes me some time to figgure out how to do things on it. I was so proud of myself that I got any pics posted on here, never could get it to work on the old forum.

Mike