PDA

View Full Version : Can't tighten LBJs enough

6'9"Witha69
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
So I was checking everything and noticed my LBJ nuts were loose. I tried to tighten them and got to the point where I ran out of Thread on the stud. My Factory control arms with PST brand LBJs did not have this issue. The spindles are aftermarket pieces which have worked fine for 6+ years. The GW arms have Moog LBJs, wondering if this has anything to do with it.

2 questions:
1. Is it OK to use hardened steel washers between the castle nut and spindle?
2. What is the bolt size of the LBJ stud?

I have a call in to Global West but wanted a few more opinions.

Thanks.

parsonsj
04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Hardened steel washers will work fine. Just make sure they don't bind on the stud. I had to make an aluminum spacer for mine for the exact same problem. I check 'em weekly and they are holding up perfectly so far.

jp

andrewb70
04-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Is it possible that you got control arms with the wrong LBJ? Sounds like the shank is a little small and its going all the way through the spindle. Remember ball joints are tapered so they need to fully seat.

Andrew

parsonsj
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Andrew makes a good point. Ask about the taper and make sure the LBJ and steering arm/spindle are the same.

jp

6'9"Witha69
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech @ GW says he's never heard of this issue before but cleared the spacer and says they actually provide them with the Mustang lower arms as the LBJ they use is not a ford piece and is longer than necessary. I asked about the taper and he says there is only 1 LBJ they use that will fit the control arm. I will verify anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Karch
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech @ GW says...

Thanks for the help guys.

Enough said.