PDA

View Full Version : Removing a broken bolt

crazyfireman
04-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I have a broken bolt on the bottom of my 69 Camaro where the fender bolts to the body underneath close to the firewall area. I have about 1/4 of the bolt sticking out and it is rounded out bad. I have tried to heat it up and use vice grips, pipe wrench and everything else. Does anyone have a better way then drilling it out with several bits? Thanks in advance..

jy211
04-16-2007, 09:18 AM
do you got a welder? If so weld a new bolt to the existing one. Let cool and try and back the bolt out...

Bandit
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
You could try soaking it thoroughly with Liquid Wrench or WD40, then take a chisel and hammer and make an indentation on the bolt. Then try tapping it with the hammer and chisel counterclockwise to see if it will turn. If you can get it turned out a few turns this way, you might be able to get a vise grips on it and take it the rest of the way out.

69muscle
04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
weld a nut to it in the threaded area, then use a socket and remove. and try soaking it with a penatration oil

NOT A TA
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
If you're removing the fender use a cut off tool to cut the head off of the bolt then deal with it after the fenders off

TonyL
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
use a flame to heat the bolt then apply candle wax. the heat will suck the wax down the threads and lube the bolt up.

Its broken loose stuff I thought would never come off.

justanova
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
If you're removing the fender use a cut off tool to cut the head off of the bolt then deal with it after the fenders off

what he said because it probably goes into a speednut and wont be too hard to deal with once the fender is out of the way.

justanova
04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
use a flame to heat the bolt then apply candle wax. the heat will suck the wax down the threads and lube the bolt up.

i'll have to remember that trick

crazyfireman
04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
The fender is already off, I will try the wax trick, it will have to suck the wax up because the bolt faces down but hey what do i have to lose?

nbecker
04-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Wax works great it lubes the threads,But with the bolt going down that will be tricky

68nate
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
smack the broken bolt on the end a couple times to try to stretch the threads a little, then weld a nut to the end of the broken/stripped bolt and remove with a ratchet. You might go through a few nuts before you get one to bite, but usually works.

shmoov69
04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Weld a nut to it, works great. Or those bolt removers from Craftsman work awesome also! The more you twist it, the tighter it gets.
Wax works good, keeps things nice and tidy, but it hurts when you pull it off!

crazyfireman
04-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Where do i get the Craftsmand bol;t remover? I dont have a welder....

LS6 Tommy
04-22-2007, 07:02 PM

X2.

Tommy