PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rods hitting oil pan

mjp01243
04-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I just installed a new motor in my 1969 camaro and I have a road race oil pan with kick outs on both sides. I only can turn a third of the way on both sides before my tie rods hit the oil pan kick outs. It is a non-power steering car and I don't want to have to go thought the expense of converting to rack and pinion. I thought that maybe I could invert where the tie rods bolt on to the cross shaft but the holes are tappered. Anyone else have this problem or know of a solution. If I do have to convert to rack and pinon which kit is the best to use and is there a way of using the rack and pinon out of a newer camaro or other car?

ITLBTU
04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
What brand of oil pan do you have? Is it possible that they sent you, or that you ordered a pan for a 2nd gen insted of a 1st gen?

mjp01243
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
The pan is made by Champ Pans and It isn't made for just my car it is made for any SBC. Has anyone had any clearance issues with oil pans and steering before? Will my bump steer be affected by moving the tie rods over to the opposite side of the steering cross member?

ITLBTU
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I have a Champ pan on mine. I think it's the CP100. I'm going out to work on it now. I don't think it hits though. I did have to bang up the top front section on the drivers side for header clearance though. What kind of headers do you have on it?

mjp01243
04-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I have hooker comp headers and they fit just fine with the oil pan.

ITLBTU
04-17-2007, 05:38 AM
I don't know what to say. I have a ton of room in the front of my oil pan. I can take some pics tonight.