PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 76 Camaro subframe in a Packard

powerplay
12-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi,
I have a 1936 Packard that has a 76 Camaro subframe. It has a supercharged 468 CI big block chevy with AC, etc. The vehicle weighs approximately 5200 pounds and the bottom of the crossmember is 3.5 inches off the ground. The suspension bushings, ball joints, coils, etc need replacement and the springs have steel spacers in them. The rubber control arm snbbers are all broken from the suspension apparently bottoming out. This is the way the car was when I bought it, so I need to upgrade. Any help with the following questions would be most appreciated.
1. How can I verify that this subframe is actually a 76 camaro.
2. What is dimension from the bottom of the cross member to the ground on a stock 76 camaro.
3. Do you recommend tubular control arms.
4. Do you recommend coil springs or adjustable coil overs to tweak the ride height. Since it is a street rod, I'm looking for a smooth ride.
5. Recommendations to upgrade the stock front disc brakes. It has rear disc brakes.

Your comments and suggestions wil be appreciated.
Thanks.

BRIAN
12-14-2004, 01:47 PM
You appraently have more than one problem. Crossmember height is properly adjusted when subframe is installed in vehicle in. Springs bottoming out are weak or overpowered suspension. Any ideas of weight on front?? There are more qualified suspension guys but I will give my 2 cents. Stick with stock arms if you can obtain proper alignment as they are usually stronger. Call Eaton and get proper spring rate while maintaining factory suspension ride height. GM springs are easy as there are cheap and easily made. Do not use adjustable shocks as they just might complicate your alignment problems. That suspension was designed to work within a certain level, keep it as close as possible. If ride height wasn't set properly when frame graft was made trying to fix it by jacking it up or lowering it with coil overs will just cause alignment issues. Buy some HD shocks to help dampening. Fine tune crossmember distance from ground with bigger tire diamater. You are not going for low sidewall look anyway I am sure and can gain an inch of clearance not suspension travel with taller tires. No fancy parts needed just a little help in spring rate department. Hey look at it this way there are a lot of 5000lb street rods driving around on Mustand 2 stuff. I feel the Camaro parts are a lot stronger and better for your application. Spend your money wisely not on the latest trick parts that require even more mods to obtain your goal. Hey post pic of that boat!!

powerplay
12-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Brian,
Thanks for your input. The car sits right, and currently has 18" wheels on the front and 19" in the rear. Everything that I found in my research seems to be that tubular control arms are much stronger than stock. I also agree that the GM subframes are much beefier than the Mustang. I have a jpeg picture of the car but don't know how to post it.

Thanks again for your comments and help.