PDA

View Full Version : quick question...

RobM
04-08-2007, 04:15 PM
i need to do some welding on a cast aluminum intake manifold for cosmetic reasons ( its getting smoothed out for a show car) do i need to pre heat it before i weld on it?

Camaro Zach
04-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Pre heat helps alot but you can get away without it. If you don't have a junk oven to heat it in or a torch you can use a bbq pit to heat it :)

What machine are you using and how thick is the part your welding on?

RobM
04-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I have a big water cooled miller TIG machine to use. or I could use a spool gun... but i think im going to TIG it.
its a cast intake from a VR6 jetta thats pretty thick. I have a torch to use but every one tells me a torch isn’t precise enough. I think I’m just going to end up heating it up with a rose bud the best I can. What’s a good target temperature? 400*?

Camaro Zach
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Torch should be ok with the rosebud. Just make sure you heat evenly. Try to heat the entire manifold. Also when welding make sure you do not overheat it. Take your time and let it cool off as needed but not below 4 or 5 hundred. Also when you get completely done you want it to cool very slowly, a wrapping it up in a welding blanket will allow it to do this. Also what filler are you going to be using?

Good luck
Zach

RobM
04-11-2007, 08:58 AM
i was going to use 4043 rod...

thanks for the tip on the cooling

i have a few of these manifolds to play with so if i screw one up i can try it again