PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder, should I try 1" vs the 1 1/8"?

ZZ4Blazer
04-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Just got my truck running this week, finally got to finish up my brake booster install. Have only driven it to bed in the new pads, and to/from the alignment shop.

Stops very well. Can easily overpower my KDW front tires, and Im sure after I adjust my prop will lock up all 4 if I try.

Combo is as follows:
C6Z front brakes
12" LS1 rear discs
Hydra tech booster
Wilwood 1 1/8" master

Anyhow, I followed Pauls (from hydra tech for those that dont know) recommendations and went with the 1 1/8" bore master. However, the brake pedal is very stiff, very touchy, and hard to modulate the brake power. Now I like a stiff feeling pedal with a performance feel to it, but this is just too much.

Would stepping down to the 1" bore master give me a little more travel and feel to the pedal?

HILROD
04-06-2007, 05:19 AM
The Hydroboost can be like this at first. It seems to get better as time goes by.

Hammered
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
I believe 1" will take you in the opposite direction to where you want to go. Did you mount the booster rod in the highest hole on the pedal?

ZZ4Blazer
04-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Theres actually a stud welded on the pedal shaft.

LS6 Tommy
04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
A smaller bore will indeed cause a stiffer pedal.

Tommy

Hammered
04-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Mine was sensitive at first and I think that through its only settling down and me getting use to it, it's pretty good now. Maybe the C6Z calipers are a bit much?

I would try moving the stud up on the pedal if you still have a problem a few weeks from now or better yet, call Paul and ask him what to do next.

MonzaRacer
04-06-2007, 07:37 PM
My choice would be to move your push rode up closer to the pedal pivot. Smaller bore causes quicker preasure biuldup.
Remember the drum brakes have to move a lot so it takes lower preasure and higher voulme of fluid.
On disc as they only move thousands of an inch they need low volume and quick flow (quicker preasure build).
hard t follow till you get your mind thinking like water in a clear vinyl tube. Big tube it moves slow and steadt but a lot of it, small tube it moves very little very fast.
This is whay all of the older cars with 11 or 12 in read drums use 1/4 brakes but later style cars with 9 inch brakes use 3/16.
Smaller brakes require less movement, and more apply preasure .
Good luck