PDA

View Full Version : DSE Mini Tub, Where to Begin?

jmanel
04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I bought the DSE video, I have searched this forum, there is alot of information and pics, but not a really good step by step that I could find. SO, I have removed my 67 Camaros rear end and leafs, I am trying to avoid removing my outer tubs and quarters. Is there a way to accomplish this? Trunk supports first? Any insight and links would be appreciated.

qwik1320
04-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I hope to start on my 67's mini tubs this summer and like you I plan to do it without removing the quarters and outer wheel well. I was thinking to:
1. remove rear and leaf springs
2. scrape off/clean wheel wells so I can see the spot welds
3. do the same thing inside, remove caulking, etc
4. cut out as much of the inner tub as easily possible
5. cut out trunk support for more room to work
5. drill out spot welds and remove the rest of the old tub
6. carefully cut floor and frame for new tub
Any of you guys that have done this please chime in, open for any and all suggestions.

REDZ
04-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I believe you cut the inner wheel well at the inside of the flange where it is spot welded to the outer wheel well. But you leave the inner flange in place and weld your new inner wheel well over the old flange. In other words you don't need to drill out the spot welds. What I found that was not clearly explained in the directions is the part about cutting the trunk and seat back floor 3/4" short so you have extra metal to bend down to create a flange to weld the innner wheel well to. You really can only create the flange in the seat area. In the trunk, where you are cutting, your are over the middle of the frame and you weld the wheel well right to the frame ( after you add the closeout) so you don't need to make the flange in the frame area. The best thing to do is to go to the DSE web page and look very closely at the photos they have of their project cars that are being mini tubbed. I would also only do one side at a time.