PDA

View Full Version : New to Forums + 71 Firebird LS1 swap

71FirebirdLS1
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
hows everyone doing? after looking at some peoples cool projects, i thought i would share mine. i bought a rust-free 71 firebird with a formula hood (not original) and an 01 TA with a rear quarter hit. overall, i plan on putting the 01 dash, seats, and interior into the 71 as well as the LS1 and tranny.

so far, the the 71 wheel tubes have been extended and the rear frame has been shaved to fit the 17" torque thrust IIs and 315mm rubber. the four point roll cage has also been put in. i already bought 12.5" drilled and slotted 3-piece rotors, aluminum hub, 4-piston calipers all around, 2" custom drop spindles, QA1 conversion coil-over springs and 12-way adjustable shocks. the drive-shaft tunnel had to be cut and moved over to fit the panhard bar and the rearend will be held in by the underslung bars from the frame. also bought a 77 tail light pannel to be welded in and have the older style tail lights. the door handles have been shaved, the side markers, and the rear hood vents have also been deleted.

the total height of the car will be 51" off the ground with almost and inch of rake. i'm also looking at a house of kolor blue to paint it. there's a whole lot more that will be done, but it's smaller stuff. the fine details... i can't wait until it's done! hopefully if everything goes well, it should be done by late this spring or early summer, and definitely have it show in the hot rod power tour over in milwaukee, wisconsin.

i was also curious if anyone else has done some modifications like these to second gen firebird? i bet the camero is pretty similar. i've got plenty of questions of course. i noticed that a fellow newbie, raptor pilot has a 70 firebird. what all are you doing to your bird, raptor? anyways, i have more and larger pictures if anyone is interested.

71FirebirdLS1
12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
and a few more pics

derekf
12-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Welcome aboard - what's your name?

WS6
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
nice project. i too will be doing something simlar with another second gen. i love my carbed 403 too much to do it to this one.

why was the rearframe rail shaved? and how much did you take off?

nice shop too

71FirebirdLS1
12-13-2004, 07:22 PM
hey derek, my name is aaron. so you live over in Mesquite? I'm over here in arlington, TX. are you involved with DAPA, ClubGP, or any other club?

nice project. i too will be doing something simlar with another second gen. i love my carbed 403 too much to do it to this one. why was the rearframe rail shaved? and how much did you take off? nice shop tooyeah, i wouldn't cut up a perfectly fine firebird either. the one that i started with was in real poor shape, but rust-free. it had no engine and the interior was completely junk. the rear frame rails had to be shaved b/c they bow-leg just past the area where the wheel goes, and we wanted to make sure there was enough room. i would say about an 1"-1.5" or so was taken out. here's a pic of what was done. the second picture is looking towards the back and out the tail light. the shop is my step-dad's. he is ultimately the brain of the project.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard, Aaron. The bird is lookin' good and sounds like it will be an awesome car when complete! Good luck on the rest of the build.

derekf
12-14-2004, 02:45 AM
hey derek, my name is aaron. so you live over in Mesquite? I'm over here in arlington, TX. are you involved with DAPA, ClubGP, or any other club?

I'm not familiar with either of the clubs you mention - but no, I'm not involved with any clubs, unless you call this site a club.

nitrovette
12-14-2004, 03:09 AM
Welcome aaron,Looks to be like a nice project.

Piet
12-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Nice Project... keep us posted... and Welcome!

Raptor Pilot
12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
hey! Welcome aboard. Your car is actually what I consider light years ahead of mine. I have the front clip and doors removed so far. The rest of the car has been sanded and shot with etching primer to preserve it from more rust until I can get some paint shot on it. I am considering going with an EFI motor and tossing the 400 carb setup...this week anyway :) I am looking at custom front subframe,coil overs, change from leaf springs, big brakes, 17's and a host of minor body mods,etc. It's all really still up in the air pending time and money, but I am looking to hopefully finish it within two years. Good luck and keep me/us posted. Lookin good so far. Gotta love the 2nd gen birds. :cheers:

Raptor Pilot
12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
BTW- Check out some of Yody's post's if you haven't already- very,very nice car and major detail work.

71FirebirdLS1
12-14-2004, 06:11 PM
thanks guys! well raptor, if you're looking for brakes, i have a number for this wilwood supplier. i paid roughly 2000 on the rotors, brakes, SS lines, and custom drop spindles! i consider that a steal! the rotors and brakes were basically top of the line. the guy's shop is right next door to american racing wheels, so if you're getting american wheels, he might go next door to see how big you can go. that's what he did for me anyways. super nice guy to talk to! let me know.

a73formula
12-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Its good to see another bird on here, looks like you've got a great project going. I am also running the 17x11 tt2's and 315's but did not have to shave anything and don't rub unless I am cornering really hard, when I really get into it I will probably take off about a 1/4 to 1/2". I also went with the qa1 coil overs and the tubular upper and lower cont. arms from global west. For brakes I am putting on 2001 trans am brakes and 2000 c5 brakes on the front but will have to switch to 18 wheels in the front to make room, not sure yet. Keep us posted.

Later

F70t/a
12-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Welcome, Project sounds sweet!!

Raptor Pilot
12-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Glad to see so many second gen 'Bird owners around :cheers:

xtrmeta
12-25-2004, 07:09 AM
I also have a few 2nd gen F-bodys and have never had to put mini tubs in them to run 17x11 wheels. The only clearence problem area is where the seat belt pob sticks out.

OLDFLM
01-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Since we seem to have started a 2nd Gen Firebird Thread here...
Just how much tire can you stuff under the rear without mini-tubbing?
With minitubbing?? Do you HAVE TO shave the frame rail???

I'm planning to run a 285/40/18 this spring/summer... no mini-tubs.
Will a 295/45/18 fit without rubbing?
Will a 305/45/18 fit?? or a 315???

Camaro Zach
01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Nice looking project welcome aboard Aaron

MuscleRodz
01-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Welcome aboard. Looks like you are going to have an awesome ride when finished. How close is that 4th gen dash to fitting. I knwo several guys here have done first gens, but I have not seen a 2nd gen done. My neighbor asked me the other day if one would work.

Mike

PonchoJohn
01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey Ty,
Back in the early 90's, when you could get performance 15's from BFG, we shoved a 305-50 under a 73. It went all the way to the edge, but it fit.

OLDFLM
01-19-2005, 11:54 AM
I think I may just play it safe and go with the 285/40/18.
As much as I'd like to have a 315 out back, if it rubbed
then I'd have to make room and then I'd want to run
a 345 out back... $$$... where does it end?

Kenova
01-19-2005, 01:07 PM
........the drive-shaft tunnel had to be cut and moved over to fit the panhard bar and the rearend will be held in by the underslung bars from the frame.......

Aaron,
Looks like you have quite the project in the works. I've always thought that the '70 to '72s were some of the nicest 'Birds built. If I read correctly, it sounds like you're using the torque arm suspension from the '01 TA. Am I right? If so, you will have to post some (nooo.... a lot of) pictures in the suspension forum. The Gen 3 & 4 guys seem to be able to make this suspension system work well. I'd be interested in what you have to do to get it stuffed into an earlier model.
Ken

a73formula
01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I am running 17x11's in the back with 315's and have no rubbing problems and with a little massaging(rolling the fender and maybe mobing the upper shock mount in) I am convinced that I can fit a 335.