PDA

View Full Version : 3M discs

paulk68
12-13-2004, 04:02 PM
i was just wondering if it would be ok to use these sanding discs to strip fenders and other little stuff. i am talking about the ones that go in a drill and look like rice cakes.
Thanks Paul

derekf
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
That's what I used all over my El Camino. They worked decently, but it can get pretty spendy when you start having to buy them in bulk. There's probably something better, but I don't know what it would be.

makoshark
12-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Those work, but can be a bit time consuming. If you have a 4" or 4 1/2" grinder, then you could use a course wire wheel. Those are faster, but can still be a bit time consuming. I usually use a razor blade to take off the paint if it has laquer primer. You can strip the paint off of a fender in about 15 minutes that way. Then I take a 36 grit sanding disc on a grinder and quickly work over the fender to rough up the remaining paint, but not quite go to the bare metal and then move over to 80 or 100 grit on a da sander and bring it down to bare metal. Best method I`ve found just shy of sandblasting.

justanova
12-14-2004, 07:40 AM
what about using aircraft stripper and scrape most of it off with a putty knife and then going to the 80 or 100 grit on a DA?