PDA

View Full Version : exterior Floor pan restoring

68lovebuzz
04-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I plan on stripping the bottom of my 68 camaro with solvent and a wire brush soon and was wondering what people have used to recoat the exterior floor pan. This car will be a sunnyday driver when finished, not a trailer queen or show car for originality, but may see a show or two for a restored/PT car. I was thinking that simply using a brush with por-15 would work. Any imput or suggestions? I think I have some chassis black around the garage. Thanks,

Brian

68lovebuzz
04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
anyone have experience with this??? Paint vs POR 15?

Brendan 67
04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi. How far are you going to go with prepping the floor.

68lovebuzz
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I will be using a solvent to clean the floor of undercoat, then wiping it clean and scuffing it up for either por15 or paint to adhere.

malster
11-01-2008, 09:21 AM
If there is no rust I would use paint. Por 15 is a rust inhibiter

fathomgreen69SS
11-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I have used 3M rock guard with good results.

Jim Nilsen
11-21-2008, 06:59 AM
It takes really good prep and a bit of rust that etched the steel to get POR-15 to adhere well. There are so many new products that are better and easier to apply than POR-15 these days. Your situation is one that would call for using Zerorust or some of the other newer coatings to choose from. POR-15 doesn't give you the sound deadening benefits that you can get from some of the new stuff also.

There is a lot of info in the archives here so go look and let your budget decide what you can do.

lh_kustoms
11-21-2008, 03:08 PM
spray it with epoxy and coat it with lizzard skin it will also help reduce noise

regalman4925
12-04-2008, 10:46 AM
i am going throught the same delema. i tried wire wheeling the undercoating off and it didnt really come off, it would get hot and gum up and never sctually come off, and it is messy! what i tested out was wire wheeling it all to get anything loose off of the underside and especially the rusty areas and then coated it with por 15 to stop the existing rust and then sprayed rubberized undercoating over that. not sure if this is ideal but i cant think of anything else besides paying someone to do it? mu car wont ever see snow and salt again and rarely rain so i dont think moisture is a big concern? it looks nice so far, if i am doing this totally wrong someone please tell me!

Bow Tie 67
12-05-2008, 05:59 AM
What part of the country are you in? I live near Chicago and there are times when metal will sweat. So make sure you have it completely covered ( no air bubbles ) to prevent rust.

As far as the undercoating, use a heat gun and putty knife for the thick crap. Then a rag wet with mineral spirits with clean it spotless.