PDA

View Full Version : LS1-T56 swap into 1st gen?

Rybar
12-13-2004, 08:50 AM
We'll I think I'm deciding on ditching my carbed 383 route for my '69, I've had many long hard thoughts about this, and well the LS1 just seems to fit the theme alot better. My car is definatley not going to be a trailer or show queen, I actually want to drive it. I have been researching over the last week or so, went to alot of websites. Thanks from the members here who helped, and I found alot of useful info over at www.ls1tech.com

Well this is my list so far, let me know if it will work:

1) LS1-T56 from 98+ Camaro/TA w/ wiring harness, pedals, Computer etc
2) BRP engine mounts (for use with stock accecories & remove AC compressor)
3) S&P shorty headers & notched oil pan
4) Rock Valley or similar fuel tank
5) ATS T56 install kit
6) modified wiring harness and custom tuned computer
7) Cam & Heads combo for LS1
8) Spec Stage III or Mcloud twin-disk clutch

Ryan

Rybar
12-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Ok, I've figured that S&P headers require the S&P mounts. I am willing to remove the AC, so what needs to be done to do that? Is there an AC delete pulley like for LT1's?

TitoJones
12-13-2004, 01:56 PM
LS1 have seperate belts for the A/C behind the main belt. Removing it changes nothing as far as routing goes.
Tyler

justanova
12-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I have the BRP engine mounts and rack kit in my 72nova (same subframe as 1st gen camaro) I don't have it running/driving yet but I think If I were to do it again I would notch the ls1 oil pan to clear the stock steering linkage rather than going with their rack kit. one of my biggest concerns for their rack kit is where the swaybar is mounted under the oil pan, its gonna be close to the ground. Also I have found that the mac midlength headers(for a 4thgen camaro) fit in the 1st gen subframe with the ls1 (at least without the steering box in there) The drivers side collector is about 1/4" from the frame but I am cutting the head flange off and gonna tilt the header in towards the trans and reweld the head flange back on for added clearance. you can probably pick up some macs on ls1tech.com or ls1.com used for fairly cheap.

Rybar
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys. I think I'm going to go with the S&P stuff.

Priced out a nice heads/cam/custom tune combo from www.ls1speed.com

quark77
12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Before you invest in a stock computer, modified wiring harness, and custom programming, check out Accel's GEN7 setup. It may cost a little more up front but it is well worth it in terms flexibility. That is, if you modify your LS1 in the future, you can reprogram the GEN7 as needed and not have to shell out additional $$$ to have the factory box reprogramed.

justanova
12-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Before you invest in a stock computer, modified wiring harness, and custom programming, check out Accel's GEN7 setup. It may cost a little more up front but it is well worth it in terms flexibility. That is, if you modify your LS1 in the future, you can reprogram the GEN7 as needed and not have to shell out additional $$$ to have the factory box reprogramed.

you can also get ls1edit for a laptop and tune the stock computer yourself. I have the s&p engine harness and it looks to be a good quality wiring harness and they were good peeps to deal with, hopefully I can get mine running soon. I plan on getting ls1edit and having someone local dynotune my car.

You may want to check out speartech for harnesses, I learned about them after I bought my s&p harness, they look like they make a good product as well, and he will also modify your stock ls1 harness for standalone operation for less money than the whole aftermarket harness

good luck on your project.

Rybar
12-13-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks guys, well here are the options. Am going to run the stock PCM, with modified harness and tune.

I've been reading LS1tech all day and boy. Seems like there is really no need for some ported heads. Guys are making up tp 450 rwhp with a Trex cam????? What the....???

Anyways, the options are this:

painless LS1 harness: Apparently it's only for 98 motors
modified stock from Speartech: seems kind of pricey, but the cheapest route
S&P harness: more pricey, but I guess theres no need if you laready have one.

Nine Ball
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
I run the Painless harness with a 98 PCM in my '69, and it works just fine. Stock LS1 pcms are VERY forgiving and easily tuned. There are about 4 or 5 software packages out there you can buy and do programs yourself, all for less than $500.

Tony

73-TYPE-LT-LS1
12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Tony, good to see you around here. Here's my 2 cents.

Coming from a 2001 SS, I have been doing some research on putting a LS1 in a second gen and have been slowly trying to buy the parts to do it.

I am going with a GEN7 stand alone only because of the price I found one at (used). The stock computer has limits and I am sure Tony will tell you that. If your going N/A or N20 then the stock stuff will be fine but if you are planing on getting in to a heavy boost aplication (Over 600rwhp the MAF starts to freak out), you will need to either modify your Stock system hevily (Dual MAF, Converter box, ect) or buy a stand alone such as GEN7, FAST or Bigstuff3.

It sounds like you don't plan to go over 450rwhp N/A, so a stock PCM would work fine. LS1edit will let you do your tuning. I believe EFIlive is coming out with a tuning software and I think HP Tuners may have theirs out. That gives you some options on reflashing the stock PCM.

The stock head number are great out of the LS1. My 2001 made 402rwhp through a M6 with a few bolt ons and a cam swap. The average TREX car however is not making 450rwhp with a cam swap and boltons. Thunder makes great cams along with a lot of other people like LG, Cartek, TSP, but look at the whole package on the high HP cars. I'd say the more typical TREX or G5 cam with stock heads is around 400-415rwhp.

The Spec 3 held my car at 510rwhp (N20 numbers).

Believe it or not, the stock 01-02 manifolds flow really well comparing them to shorty headers. They can be found very cheap if you look around.

Rybar
12-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, not planning on a blower or nitrous for sure. So think I'm Ok with a retuned stock PCM.

Plans are to run a 231/237 cam with stock heads for now, maybe some other minor bolt-ons, with the S&P Headers. Am going to do a mail-order tune.

As far as the fuel system, I e-mailed a guy who has been running an LS1 in his 1st gen without an expensive Rock valley tank, and also another guy running an LT1 in his 81 Malibu who said you could run this setup:

My fuel system is a model for price, not performance or efficiency, or flashiness. I used the original tank, added a return line to the original sending unit, and used a, "L" shaped bent piece of 1/8 steel plate mounted to the bottom of the trunk pan to hange my Aeromotive fuel pump down below the halfway mark on the tank.

Could I run a setup like this? I mean I would love the fancy expensive parts that everybody runs on this site, but I'm on a limited budget, I have had this car for 6 years now, and would really like to get it running for 2005.

Steve1968LS2
12-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok, I've figured that S&P headers require the S&P mounts. I am willing to remove the AC, so what needs to be done to do that? Is there an AC delete pulley like for LT1's?

Nope.. im running the S&P headers.. DSE gearbox AND BRP motor mounts with a notched oil pan..

So far its a great setup..

Matt
12-20-2004, 05:26 PM
about how much does the list of required goodies seem to run?

rob07002
12-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Ryan check your inbox, Sorry for the late reply......