PDA

View Full Version : What water neck to use?

Clsccmro
04-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I need to get some suggestion as to what you would recommend for a water neck for an original 327 with an aluminum edelbrock intake. I have one of those generic chrome ones with an o-ring on it right now, but as I'm sure most of u already know, they leak like crazy. I've had no luck sealing it correctly, so I need to upgrade. What are most of you using? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks

Clsccmro
04-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I need to get some suggestion as to what you would recommend for a water neck for an original 327 with an aluminum edelbrock intake. I have one of those generic chrome ones with an o-ring on it right now, but as I'm sure most of u already know, they leak like crazy. I've had no luck sealing it correctly, so I need to upgrade. What are most of you using? Any help would be fantastic! Thanks

chicane67
04-01-2007, 04:36 PM
The GM 1010-8470 neck, from the ZZ line.

pdq67
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
A stock cast-iron jobber as bad as I feel having to tell you this!!!

My chrome one did the same thing

And I don't know if the thick plastic gasket w/ a real O-ring in it works or not??

pdq67

chicane67
04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
The GM 1010-8470 nech from the ZZ line.

You can get them from GM for like $7.80. Its the best neck I have used yet... far better than any of the chrome POS' on the market.

Clsccmro
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I've been told the original cast iron one's work, just wanted to get some other opinions about it.

Chicane, the 1010-8470 won't allow the alternator bracket to mount in it's stock location if I were to use it, any suggestions there? It doesnt have a long post where one of the screws mount like the stock one, so the alternator bracket would have no place to mount.

Clsccmro
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
I've been told the original cast iron one's work, just wanted to get some other opinions about it.

Chicane, the 1010-8470 won't allow the alternator bracket to mount in it's stock location if I were to use it, any suggestions there? It doesnt have a long post where one of the screws mount like the stock one, so the alternator bracket would have no place to mount.

chicane67
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Oops... did know you were still using a short pump set-up.

Honestly... a long water pump conversion is an excellent investment. You wanted to do one of those anyway right ?? lol...

Or... you could make an aluminum spacer out of round stock, to make up the difference. You could also use a different type of alt. bracketry... like what Carl C uses. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

Yelcamino
04-02-2007, 02:49 AM

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/04/sum371101-1.jpg

Try this one from Summit. It's billet aluminum and swivels 360*. I've got one on my Blazer and it's never leaked despite me changing the thermostat a few times in search of the best temp.

Part number SUM-371101, $13.95

Mike Holleman
04-02-2007, 05:12 AM
I agree with Herb. I've used the same water neck on several cars without problems.
Mike

Clsccmro
04-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Chicane, actually I do have a long water pump setup, it's a 69 camaro, so I don't think they even had short water pumps on 69's. I'm guessing that they don't make an aluminum water neck for this type of alternator bracket. I'm thinking I'll either buy the original cast iron one, or an aluminum one and use some round stock aluminum tubing to make a spacer like Chicane had suggested. I'm just really worried that the spacer might not allow the bolt to tighten like it would without the spacer and therefore leak once again.

Thanks so much for all your help guys, this has been plaguing me for a while now.

Bryan

JamesJ
04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
NAPA has many good cast ones, I just painted mine black today.

chicane67
04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Geez... there is some strange double post weirdness going on here.

Anywho... another outstanding piece that I highly recommend... that blue fangeled Fel-Pro plastic waterneck gasket. Worth every penny. I am pretty certain that this also helped out with my water leak problem bigtime.

Its less prone to flange warpage and such...