PDA

View Full Version : Moog parts....what gives?

shelby987
04-01-2007, 09:46 AM
I was JUST about to pick up the phone and order all new front steering components (tie rods, idle arms, centerlink, etc) when I came across a thread here saying that Moog parts are no longer the quality they once were, can anyone confirm or deny this? From everything I have read, I thought these were the only parts I was safe in purchasing until I figured out the rest of my suspension setup....now that seems to be false....any advice?

Mike Holleman
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I use Moog parts everyday and have not seen any such issues. There are cheap imported pieces being passed off as equal parts out there.
Stick with Moog.
Mike

blown69nova
04-01-2007, 03:57 PM
I work in a large municipal parts dept. and we use/stock a LOT of Moog steering components. I can't say they are better or worse than say 20 yrs ago, but they are the best ones out there today.
Steve

Derek69SS
04-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Moog parts are OK, but DANA/Spicer parts are far superior (NAPA's "premium" line) If you ever get the chance to view a cut-away of a Moog balljoint compared to a DANA/Spicer balljoint, you'll never go back to Moog.

MonzaRacer
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Well a s a tech I use Moog, NAPA premium line(Dana Partscraft), McQuay-Norris, Elgin, Napas Master Ride on certain things. The last three are all made in same plants across the US and I have only seen foriegn parts in those boxes for foriegn cars replacemnet parts.
A lot of those last 3 names are made in the old Speedpro factory and some in an old TRW factory.
The big thing is to look for the fact that the supplier has similar parts in HD (like the new body style GM truck that came out in 87 and up had a weak idler arm and the "fix" hd part is about 3 times as big and was pioneered/Patented by McQuay-Norris then they sold the rights to the over size joint to several manufacturers.
You will also see Dana parts in Moog boxes and vice versa and others swap and switch to fill orders.
But I do like the NAPA premium line then Moog ,with McQuay-Norris tied for second.
If they put a lifetime warranty on it it cant be all bad.
Lee

pitts64
04-02-2007, 04:05 AM
I've been buying all my parts from RARE Suspension. You need a tax number to enter there site though.Everything seems to be top quality.
http://ecomserv.byted.com/ez/tk_expired.asp
Never heard anything bad about Moog either.
I know to stay away from Kanter.