PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Vs. Electric Fuel Pump

Gordz32
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey guys, I've been questioning which pump to do. First of the car is a 72 chevelle with a BBC 540 making 580hp/590ftlbs with a 870cfm carb backed by a TKO600. Car will be primarily street driven. Hers' the question, do we go with a mechinical or electric fuel pup setup. Will the mech starve the carb at higher RPMs? I don't know to much about this, So thats why I'm asking. I'd rather not have to spend $1500 on a aeromotive system but again, I need some advice!

chicane67
03-31-2007, 09:51 PM
The answer to your prayers... http://www.racepumps.com/

Gordz32
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Thankyou kindly sir!! HAHA sweet and relatively inexpensive. Anyone with experience with this pump?

68Formula
04-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Mechanical pumps have been around forever supporting high horsepower engines.

But just to give you the other side, here are some advantages of an electrical (cost is usually not one):

If a mechanical pump ever leaks (on a good quality pump this is rare), the fuel goes into the oil. Obviously this thins the oil which could damage an expensive engine.
Mechanical pumps are a parasitic loss. The power used for operating a mechanical pump is much more than the extra electrical load placed on alternator.
An electical pump can be turned off by adding a switch. This would function as either a safety and/or anti-theft device.
An electrical pump mounted out of the engine compartment is less likely to have pump cavitation under extreme heat conditions.

I still run a mechanical in mine, but it is nearly stock, I have less than a couple grand into the engine, and I haven't decided if I will stay carbed or switch to EFI yet.

Johnny Blaze
05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I am strongly considering the race pump for my car.

I have heard a lot of good about it and only a couple complaints.

It has some great features!

67cam
05-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Those are bad pumps. I want one and not a whole lot more then a holly electric. Damn the wife won't be talking to me for a week or two. Oh well a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.