PDA

View Full Version : Are forged components required?

mudpick
12-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm in the process of planning out the engine portion of my '68 Camaro rebuild. I'm planning to use a 383. I've already purchased a TPIS mini-ram and a 6-speed tranny (good deals). I'd like to use aluminum heads and electronic fuel injection (TEC3).

I'm wondering if I should buy a short block with forged pistons and crank? Or are hypereutectic pistons and a cast crank ok? At some point I may add NOS and or a supercharger.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

teamsleep13
12-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Scat 9000 series cast cranks are great cranks. They will do fine for most applications under 600 crank hp.
If nitrous is in the future, get forged pistons. While u make be able to live with the hyper's and nitrous, the extra money spent on forged pistons isnt that much for the amount of added security you will get.
Get ARP rod bolts and if ur using stock rods, shot peen them.

Hunter

Lowend
12-13-2004, 07:08 AM
I have to agree with Teamsleep13
A cast crank is good up to about 600HP (which is more than a mini-ram will support)
I would use Forged Pistons no matter what. The minor cost differences between hyperutenic and forged do not outweigh the strength differences.

USAZR1
12-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree with the above statements. Hypereutectics and nitrous do not play well together.