PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Options

mtuck
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I have been working hard to finish up the car to drive this summer. I finally took the car around the block with only a few problems. One is an easy fix and the other I am not sure about. I have 67' Camaro that has the factory center console. Right now it has a very, very old B&M shifter that has to go. But I can not seem to find anything that will work with my console and my transmission which is a th350. I was wandering what some of you were using and to post a few pics so I could see. I do mind cutting it up a little if needed but would still like to keep the console looking some what stock.

Thanks
Matthew

fishtail8
03-29-2007, 09:12 PM
The ProStick fro B&M is pretty easy to hide and can be bought with or without the aluminum cover. I sent my cover out to be polished so it looked a bit different than everyone else....

Steve Chryssos
03-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I find aftermarket shifters annoying--at least with regard to pro-touring cars. I kinda just want to put the sucker into gear without feeling like I'm arm wrestling. Ratchet action this, reverse lockout that, pull up, push down, slap your knee, etc. I run a B&M Hammer which is ratchet action with reverse lockout. Both mechanisms are clunky and frequently get stuck. I regularly must use both hands to get the thing from park to reverse. It's outta here.

Consider a reproduction factory shifter or a modern shifter from the junkyard as well. Over the next xouple of months, I will be trying one from a Dodge Caliber in my car. We put a Jeep shifter in the red car, but it is huge! We ended up pocketing out the trans tunnel to reduce the shifter's height. Works great though. I'll try to take a pic.

mtuck
03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the information. That is one reason I do not like the B&M shifter, I do not like how rough they are. And my shifter did get hung up yesterday and that was the final straw. But I con not find a new 67' shifter. I can find 68' and 69's all day long. I may have to buy a quickshift and adapt it to my console.

eville
03-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd paddle shift if I had an AUTO.
http://www.twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html

Steve Chryssos
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Now THIS is a floor shifter for a pro-touring car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Ralph LoGrasso
03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Now THIS is a floor shifter for a pro-touring car.

I agree. Looks awesome.