PDA

View Full Version : OK, now we have a new "HOME" !

David Pozzi
12-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Here it is, now let's hear some track stories! :lurk:

Nine Ball
12-12-2004, 03:39 PM
HELL YES!

This forum is for the guys that drive and beat on their cars.

no "SLO"-Touring cars allowed! All show queens: :getout:

:bananna2:

CarlC
12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Here it is, now let's hear some track stories! :lurk:

Well there was this novice driver with a car that was not set up well, and Pozzi was brave enough to go out on the track with him. At the end of a 100 mph straight the brakes went out. Pozzi has not been the same since.

David Pozzi
12-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey! I had the throttle stick wide open on the Lola once, THAT was fun! :)
Another time, I was following a blown Pantera around Laguna Seca (old turn four heading up the hill) the guy broke the rear axle off right in front of me just as I was setting him up to pass...

Came around that same turn four (old course, now it's turn 6) at a Vintage event practice, and there was pieces of a McLaren M8F all over the track with a ft wheel and suspension sitting right in the middle of the track!

I think I was most scared with Carl! :help!:

PAI Racing
12-15-2004, 10:05 AM
David, Is your '69 A-Sedan car finished yet?

Salt Racer
12-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Sean,
How did you do at the Vegas race?

Was nice meeting you. You got a kick arse car!!

David Pozzi
12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
PAI Racing,
My current "job" is working on my wife's 73 Camaro. We got it running briefly but she just ordered a new ZZ383 engine so we will install that and Richmod five speed this winter. I'm ordering a vint air system for it too...

My plans are to get her car running, do some freshining of my Lola T-70 things like make a better seat, increase helmet room, - my new "improved" helmet is hitting, and new gearbox dog rings, then work on my 67 Camaro. After the 67 is going I'll get the 69 running. I could get the 69 running pretty quickly, it's all there for the most part.

PAI Racing
12-17-2004, 12:34 PM
David,

I have seen the pictures of it on your site for the past few years and wondered when it would show up. It seemed like it was pretty far along. My '67/'68 AS car took three years of pretty consistent work, so believe me, I know how it goes.

Kazz (I hope I remebered correctly), It was great to meet you guys at Vegas. That Riv' is a really awesome car! I had a good time. I only raced the Saturday race and finished 4th in class (not terribly impressive, but I had an awesome time). I killed my front calipers... melted the skirt seals right out of them. I run the old factory Vette J-56 style brakes and I am still having trouble coming to terms with getting them to live. This is the second set I have murdered. Modern rebuilds just don't seem to cut it compared to the original GM stuff.

I just talked to Mark, he was calling from the JCGT at Cal Speedway to mock me for having to work... But, I am taking the next two weeks off to put the new Iron head 427 in my '68 Camaro street car (called "Project No-Touring" in honor of its 4 speed, 4 wheel drums and skinny bias ply tires).

Good to hear from you guys!

Salt Racer
12-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Sean,
Thanks. 4th place is pretty darn good if you ask me, knowing you had some mechanical problems. I ran my Riv at Streets of Willow track. The car had severe understeer (I ran out of time to make rear sta bar), but it was the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a car.

I'm not really familiar with J-56 calipers, but I'm guessing they look like JL8 calipers on Camaro. Can you run some kind of heat shield between the pads and pistons, or maybe thicker pads? How about try thermal coating the pistons? Just some thoughts.

So Mark's at Cal Speedway, huh? Damn, I'm so jealous!

I'll go back to SoCal next year for some OT event, probably Buttonwillow or Streets of Willow. Bring out your No-Touring Camaro. With you behind the wheel, it'll be a good competition to my Riv :idea:

Katz (not the first time people got my name wrong, so no biggie).

PAI Racing
12-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Katz, sorry! people mess up my name regularly as well...

The J-56 option was basically the same as the JL-8, but with special 2 pin heavy service pads instead of the single pin pads that generally came on the Vette's and Z's. The problem is the caliper bodies are steel, the sleeves are stainless steel and the pistons are aluminum. Funny heat transfer model... Oh, and a little rubber skirt seal on the pistons. But, I just ordered a set from Vette Brakes that have an oring seal and composite heat sheilds on the face of the piston. We'll see... I want to keep some of that stuff vintage legal so I can run with VARA and HSR as well as NASA. I think my drive train is about as much leeway as they'll give me.

I think your Riv would kill the "faux-copo" (AKA Proj. No-Touring) on a road course. It is going to run stock 14" on bias ply with drums. I am doing the car with an eye to (gulp) drag racing it with those Factory Appearing Stock Tire guys. They are running 11.20s and faster with stock looking cars on skinny bias ply tires! The car has been in my family since new so I am really looking forward to freshening it up. It looks just like the race car (red with a white stripe). They will be a fun set of fraternal twins.

You'll have to let us know when you come out. Mark is making great progress on the Mean 69. The motor is in! So, when you come out next, he should be ready to play too. I'd recommend running Buttonwillow or Big Willow over the streets. You'll like both more than the Streets because you'll get to enjoy some of your Buford's horsepower. Big Willow is such a bitchen track! It has a great history and it is FAST!

Sean

Salt Racer
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Sean,
No big deal about my name. I've been called anything from Ken to Kate LOL.

Sounds like you already got the brake issue coverd. I hope that'll work out well.

I think those drag racers running on skinny biasply tires are neat! Yeah, if the car's been in your family for such long time, I too would keep it looking like a stocker. You already got a nice racecar, it would be a shame to hack a surviving piece of automotive history.

I'll be sure to let you guys know when I head down there. I really want to check out Mark's Camaro, and possibly hitch a ride around the track. I definetly want to try Buttonwillow, but I'll save Willow's big track for later. My then-mighty 425 Nailhead was near running out of breath at the end of the straight of Streets, and I don't feel like spending a bunch of money on it b/c I'll eventually go to the dark side and swap in a SBC or an LSx engine :evil: The car weighed 4280 lbs with me and near empty gas tank, with 56.5% over the nose! Gotta shave off some weight.

spanky the wondermuffin
12-18-2004, 07:17 AM
i'll be at buttonwillow july 2-3,with the ncrc. www.ncracing.org

harshman
12-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Man it would be nice to post up a “schedule” of tracks that you guys are gona be at. Since the photo shoot with popular hotrodding, I’ve been wanting to get into beating the hell out of my car at the track. I’ve never been in a race or a track in my car and have always wanted to. Would you guys recommend a “freshmen” track or an event?

David Pozzi
12-18-2004, 11:26 AM
The early vette brakes had bakelite insulators on the face of the caliper pistons, this greatly reduces the heat transfer. Racers would backdate their caliper pistons to these, I used to see it on all the vettes.
David

Salt Racer
12-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Man it would be nice to post up a “schedule” of tracks that you guys are gona be at. Since the photo shoot with popular hotrodding, I’ve been wanting to get into beating the hell out of my car at the track. I’ve never been in a race or a track in my car and have always wanted to. Would you guys recommend a “freshmen” track or an event?

Streets of Willow Springs (Rosamond, CA). Low speed, lots of turns (various kind), lots of room to spin out. I think it's only 250 miles or so from Vegas. Spring Mountain looks fun too, though I've only seen it in a video.

www.speedventures.net
www.speedtrialusa.com

This site has a pretty comprehensive list of schedule in CA/NV.
track-days.org

I don't know about others, but my schedule for next year is yet to be decided.

spanky the wondermuffin
12-21-2004, 04:21 PM
feb. 26-7 thunderhill (ncrc) -tentative(weather). march 12-13 california speedway road course(nasa)(tent.) march 14-15 high roller 100(mkm),calfornia speedway tri oval. may 6-8 bonneville 100,open road,(mkm). july 2-3 buttonwillow(ncrc). july 15-17 gambler's run twin 50(mkm),open road elko,nv. august 25-28 pony express 130,open road(mkm).still working on my schedule.the hotchkis day is likely also.ncrc- www.ncracing.org mkm- openroadracing.com

Salt Racer
12-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Jon,
How'd you like the events organized by NCRC? Do they have rental transponders?

Do you have to have Hotchkis/Yokohama/Baer part(s) on your car to attend Hotchkis track day? I got BFGs, Wilwood and home-made suspension parts.

spanky the wondermuffin
12-22-2004, 10:13 AM
i like the ncrc.several p-t.com folks are also members.they use the abm system for time trials,i'm not sure about rentals.no transponder is needed to open track.i use a stack panel with lap timer and a trackside beacon.i still have hotchkis tie rod sleeves.mention this site and larry and i'll bet they will take you.here's a pic from a couple years back.

Salt Racer
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Cool! I might do T-hill if I can squeeze in an extra CA trip in my schedule (and if I can afford an extra trip...) Speed Ventures couldn't reserve any track time at T-hill next year.

PAI Racing
01-03-2005, 08:14 AM
NASA runs at Thunderhill regularly and they aways have open track sessions running concurrent with thier race events. It is a nice opportunity to get some track time, instruction for competent instructors and also see some good racing action as an added bonus.

Mean 69
01-03-2005, 12:28 PM
here's a pic from a couple years back

I saw that car at the Baer track day a few years back. I was spectating, but I do remember seeing it. There were some really neat cars there, including the red Camaro that Stielow built with the BBS wheels, a Lingenfelter prep'd late model T/A, and a Shelby Series One. The Shelby kicked the poop out of everyone, that car was really, really fast.

Small world!

I got wind of a potential new series being formed, based upon street registered/legal cars. It sounds like an interesting deal, Friday Practice, Saturday qual, with a 50 mile race later in the day, a parade on the streets (five miles) on Sunday to help promote interest, and then a 100 mile race later in the day. Wanna drive your car against a 360 Modena, or a blown Z06, etc? You may be getting the chance soon. When I hear more, I'll post on this page.

Mark

David Pozzi
01-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Can't see the pic!

spanky the wondermuffin
01-04-2005, 07:19 AM
he's refering to that old pic of my car from phr a few years back.it was slow then,but i did drive it a long way(can't remember 1000?),run it all day,then got up the next morning and drove it home,arriving home before midnite if i recall.
never dnf'd,always drove to and from events with no problem.only left me stranded on the side of the road after running out of gas.twice.d'oh.it's not as fast and reliable as a car that is sitting on jackstands,and has been for most of a decade,but it's ok.

PAI Racing
01-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Spanky, are you inclined to clarify the jackstand comment?

spanky the wondermuffin
01-04-2005, 11:18 AM
i'm refering to cars that are unfinished,haven't run in 10 or 15 years,yet the owner is sure it will be a world beater,based on the huge dollars spent for fancy parts.i know better than to think a car is a p.o.s. just because it has a few teething problems on it's first few track outings.like i did at that phoenix event.or the hotchkis day the next year,which was the first test of the new suspension.my problem there wasn't suspension at all.it was a tire pressure gauge reading way low.i was running around with nearly 50 psi cold.and a cracked spark plug insulator was giving me a nice intermittent misfire,a great concentration helper.that's the heartbreak of track days.i don't care if i win,but i do care if i lose.

PAI Racing
01-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Specifically, what I was driving at was to afford you the opportunity not to break people's balls after they have complimented you on your car. Just because you have some sort of hang up, doesn't mean that everyone else on the board is "in on the joke". I don't see any reason to dog****e people when you don't know them.

I know that my race car is on jack stands right now, I know David Pozzi has a Camaro on stands and I know that the Mark's car runs and moves around under its own power. It seems pretty bogus to get in people's faces when you are not face to face. There is no real integrity to it and no real accountability.

Feel free to show the other people on the board the courtesy of using punctuation and spacing when writing your posts.

David Pozzi
01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
:)
I've got TWO cars on jackstands! A fiew weeks ago it was THREE!

Spanky, I get where you are coming from but most of those bragging types are not posing HERE.