PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to build an adjustable frame table?

atomicjoe23
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Anyone out there built there own adjustable frame table. . .or know where I can get the plans so that I can build one of my own as well. . .I've seen them on TV on Musclecar and Extreme 4x4 and on Rides in the Rad Rides by Troy shop. . .decided that this is the way to go when building my '67 Firebird 400 coupe.
Thanks in advance!!!

RobM
03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Adjustable how? Really the key factor in building a frame is a square surface. most frame benches have a machined surface. but some nice I beams can still do the trick. the upright supports that hold the frame in place and set the ride high can be custom made per application.

also if you have a nice floor surface to work on don’t rule that out... you don’t always need a "frame bench" to build a nice frame.

atomicjoe23
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Adjustable just meaning. . .that it could be adjusted to fit different wheelbases. . .the one that I have seen on Musclecar TV I liked. . .it was really simple. . .just an extremely large I-beam for the central support (lengthwise) and several smaller supports running the width of the car. . .the adjustablility was that the supports front and rear that lined up with where the wheel would rest on the ground could be moved forward and backward so that the same table could be used for multiple vehicles; I believe it was also adjustable for different ride heights.

B Schein
03-28-2007, 05:10 PM
We have a Bluco table at school that we use to build our Mini Baha and Formula SAE cars on they donated us the table ( has a very small crack on the side) and we rent the fixturing each year. We just send them a soild model of the frame and the send us back setup plans for how to put the fixturing together. Its rather pricy thought I think it cost over $100,000 to get the size table and fixturing we use.
http://www.bluco.com/welding/applications/vehicle.html

astroracer
03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
I built two of these tables a couple of years ago. I use them all the time. They are small enough to be useful and can be rolled out of the way when not needed. Here is a pic of one with the adjustable "H" beams in place.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/10866064561-1.jpg
Here is a link to my Fotki site with more pics.
http://public.fotki.com/astroracer/tools_storage__orga-1/shop_projects/chassis_jig_tables/chassis_jig_tables/
I put on (4) 4" swivel casters I got at a swap meet for 20 bucks and, when they are locked, the tables don't move unless I really bang into them. When I am using them as chassis jigs I have lugs welded to the legs that I run 3/4" bolts down to the floor for leveling. This also raises the tables off the casters and makes them pretty much immobile.
The "H" beams are very useful for bolting or clamping just about anything to them for working on, and you will see the layout table I use for setting up and tack welding frames and front suspensions.
Mark

atomicjoe23
03-29-2007, 08:12 AM
AstroRacer,

thanks for the pic's and the link. . .that looks pretty straightforward and simple. . .I never get to actually see the frame jig on Musclecar TV long enough to get a really good look at it and figure out exactly how it's laid out.

atomicjoe23
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Here's pretty much what I was thinking of. . .now I just gotta figure it out. . . probably cost a fortune though!

paul67
04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Try looking to see if any garages are selling them if there closing down,as maybe hemminigs or some auctions, Over here in the UK 4 poster ramps go for silly money ie couple hundered $.

atomicjoe23
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Try looking to see if any garages are selling them if there closing down,as maybe hemminigs or some auctions, Over here in the UK 4 poster ramps go for silly money ie couple hundered $.

Thanks for the suggestion. . .if I can find that it would save me a ton of time and money!

David Pozzi
04-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Here's an article on them: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.circletrack.com%2Ftecharticle s%2Fchassis_repair_chassis_jig_tech%2F&ei=GF0eRoyYMpj6ggPJ3vGmBQ&usg=__i2rMI2MRxd97grUHZbyzqPzVXCs=&sig2=muKdo7fltFXAdRhYYARskw
The biggest problem I see to making one is warping due to the heat of welding. It seems a better plan would be to make a welded and traiangulated support frame , then bolt on large I beams or square tube "rails" to the frame and shim or adjust them to insure they are level and square.
David

Gordz32
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Look around and see if you can find a used one. I know when I was at wyotech, you could get a used rack for under 2k. The problem is they were huge and heavy.

atomicjoe23
04-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the article Pozzi.

BlackGMC
04-12-2007, 01:30 PM
here is what I did

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/2-1.jpg

MonzaRacer
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I would build my own with some rectangle tubing and a couple of I beams and I would have the ibeams machined square at local machine shop so as to not have them unsquare top and bottom.
If money isnt too much you could even have the flats machined, then make it bolt to a true 90 surface and machine both rails on each side so they are square too and then you would have proper square mounting surface. And then you can drill and tap several holes for tieing things down and if you make it bolt together then the I beams can be remachined if you scar or have to tack weld to them periodicly.
when I build my grage I have a complete below ground lift cylinder I have had stashed and intend to make it a short lift frame rack for chassis building. I have one cylinder and 2 upper bushings so I intend to put large air springs under it as I am going to cutit in two, then I have a gear track that will be welded to the side and geared braks so I can lock it in place laso I will have a hydralic band underground and anair release ratcheting setup for more safety.
I designed this unit a long time ago and still intend to build it and since it will be air powered it wont be a major pain to serviceand the plates that everything is going to be bolted too will be flush or below flush and I will be able to coverthem up for a flat floor surface and move the rack around. Heck I may even put a setof rollers on it now that I think about it.
This unit will lift a frame to a max of 36 in tall if calcs are right.
My intension was along time ago to start building race chassis but never got to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.
A simple version would be easily enough built with a simple I beam set up and a couple of hydralic cylinders if you wanted it powered.
A little thought and a few good questionsto the right people and anything can be built.
I am looking for one of the old Rotary above ground tire service lifts to use too.I know Snap-On has one that moves around.
good luck
Lee