PDA

View Full Version : SBC pwr steering pulley issue

Bad Bowtie
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I am doing a manual to power steering conversion on a 69 camaro w/ SBC. It has the long water pump and was equipped with the aluminum crank pulley and water pump pulley when the owner purchased it. I have purchased the 3 piece pwr steering bracket kit and pwr steering pump (keyway style) from NPD. I purchased the aluminum pwr steering pulley locally and now have an issue with the power steering pulley not lining up with a groove on the crank pulley. It seems to be about a belt width off from the 2nd groove in the crank pulley. This car doesnt have air so i'm sure that the 2 groove pwr steering pulley and the 3 groove crank pulley is not needed. Could I have a pwr steering pulley designed for a short water pump? I dont think it makes a difference on the power steering pulley you either have keyway style or press fit pulleys. I've attached some pics for reference. All comments or experiences encouraged.
BB

HILROD
03-26-2007, 08:56 PM
There are a few different power steering pulleys for that style pump. Try looking in March pulleys website for different measurements. Also I've seen adjustable pump brackets that allow front to back movement. Since you already have the rest of the setup a pump pulley change seems easiest.

David Pozzi
03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes, I think you have a pre-69 short pump style ps pulley on your pump. You need a long water pump style pulley. It should line up with the rear groove on the crank.
David

Bad Bowtie
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Hilrod and David,
I took a measurement and ordered one of the March P/S pulleys today. Found the dimensions for their pulleys and ordered hopefully the correct one. Got my finger crossed :fingersx:
Thanks
BB