PDA

View Full Version : Home Grown Rack and Pinion

ILLEGAL69
12-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Has anyone designed a home made rack and pinion set up for a first gen? I realize that there are kits available, but I would like to build my own.

Most cars with factory R+P have the tie rods in front of the wheel. The steeroids kit has them in the rear, does this affect performance?

What I was thinking of doing is to flip my sway bar, and mount it behind. Then make or modify my steering arms, or simply switch sides and install a R+P unit ahead of the axles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe a new forum on steering ???

Tom Welch
12-13-2004, 07:29 PM
I recommend going the simple stupid route. get a fast ratio gearbox from a second or third gen f-body. Quick ratio steering arm from Rick's First Generation or similar supplier, (they have the correct arm). This is a direct bolt on proven system for improving your steering. A rack and pinion is definitely on top of the cool meter but can be a challenge to fine tune. Replacement parts are difficult to get for a 1 off setup which is, practically speaking what you will have with a rack setup. Napa has the conventional parts available, even the steering arm if you do a little research. Rack systems are very good but a little complex for me anyway.

Ummgawa
12-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Illegal69, I'm new to this site, but not to others like it. Check out my set up at Lateral-G.net,here:http://www.lateral-g.net/hall/. You'll see my Rack and Pinion set up done by Phil Brewer at BRPHOTRODS.com in Georgia. I love the set up. Strait small block pan clears along with my Moroso deep pan. The sway bar is rear mounted and works great. Some people don't like it, I do.

Bad Bowtie
12-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Ummgawa
I wish Santa had "unloaded" at my house like he did yours :cool:

Jack