PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro /Firebird Cocktail shaker - Help

63SW
03-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I need all 4 corner cocktail shakers for my 69 convert .
CANT FIND A SET and really dont want to pay what people want for them so i am making a set !

Does any one have a FULL SET OF 4 that they could take pictures of for me ?

I need good pictures of the bracket especially !

IF YOU CAN HELP , PLEASE SEND PICTURES TO MY EMAIL ADDY .
[email protected]

Once i get a set made and have patterns , i could make em if anyone is interested!

DOES ANYONE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS INSIDE OF THEM ?

the 1 i have is for a 68 and is somewhere around 36-42 LBS per shaker...
Im guessing maybe lead and a heavy fluid of some sort...
theres a baffle inside so i cant tell what is in it .

THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
Jeff

vintageracer
03-26-2007, 04:40 AM
The shakers are filled with oil. They should weight about 25 lbs each. Firebird and Camaro shakers are different in mounting configuration. Go to Firstgenerationfirebird.com for a sticky on Firebird shakers WITH PICTURES and Camaros.net for information on Camaro shakers WITH PICTURES.

Firebird shakers can be made to work in Camaro's and vice versa. Again the difference is the mounts welded to the shaker. Nobody repo's shakers that I am aware of and shakers can be expensive. There are lot's of rears out there if you look. Fronts are tougher since most cars got wrecked in the front.

Shakers are GM's cheap ass way of fixing a harmonics problem in convertibles. Shakers were actually used in the 50's by Chrysler and first used by GM on the Corvair. You can drive you Camaro without them. If you stiffen your chassis as most PT guys do you may actually eliminate the need for the shakers.

Original shakers have a bolt in the top of the shaker where you fill the oil. There is lots of info on the Camaro and Firebird sites about shakers. Look there for help. Most shaker bodies are OK. The problem with most shakers today is that the mounting brackets are rusted. This is particularly a problem with the front shakers so make sure you can clearly see the mounts on any front shakers before purchase.

You should be able to scrounge a pair of rears fairly cheap. Expect to pay $200+ for a pair of fronts. Ebay is not the place to buy shakers. Look at the local swap meet or call the local Camaro guy who junks cars.

63SW
03-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info Mike .

Im a swap meet junkie and i go to a lot of them...just yesterday in indy as a matter of fact.
Ive been looking for a year now and haven't been able to locate a set as of yet.

i would buy a set with bad brackets if i could find them...
I already fabed up a rear shaker and dont see any troubl making them ,
Even the brackets arent that hard to make...

I need a Front shaker so i can copy the brackets off it.

I wasnt aware that camaro and birds were different but thanks for the heads up...
I'll check out the other sites for pictures...

I'll post a picture of the shaker i fabed up as soon as i paint it.

63SW
03-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Found exactly what i needed ..THANKS MIKE

63SW
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Well , i got lucky and found a ad on EBAY list 67-68 rear shakers and had a decent buy it now...
After the research on Team camaro ( THANKS MIKE ) i realized they were the 69 ONLY shakers..not 67-68 as described.....
.THEY JUST ARRIVED TODAY.

Now i need the 2 fronts !

vintageracer
04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
I would not worry since I would expect 69's to be worth more than 67-68's so your should make some money on these shakers while looking for a a correct set.

Let me look and see what I have stashed away.

63SW
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
I dont think you read it right...They were listed as 67-68 BUT THEY ARE FOR 69s - JUST WHAT I NEEDED ...

I do still need the front pair for a 69 though.

I have tons of stuff here put back if you find a set and need anything , maybe a trade , Or cash is ok.
THANKS