PDA

View Full Version : Can Shortened F Body Control Arms Work?

BRIAN
03-22-2007, 06:25 PM
What can be done to overcome shortened upper and lower control arms? I think they are 1 1/2 to 2" shorter? I believe they are Fatman?

Just curious if there is a fix vs replacing them? Moving mounting points?

More curious than anything as I know it will be easier just to swap.

Goatman
03-23-2007, 03:14 AM
Fatman = Junk.

silver69camaro
03-23-2007, 05:07 AM
Fatman = Junk.

I wouldn't say that. They serve their intended purpose just fine.

Back to the question, what is it that you are trying to do?

baz67
03-23-2007, 05:55 AM
Fatman = Junk.

It should read Fatman= not the best manufacture for a pro-touring application.

Goatman
03-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Never saw or heard anyone say they liked a thing that came out of that shop... Including the control arms I bought for my last car...

BRIAN
03-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Well not sure about the whole Fatman debate and they may actually be Heidts if that makes a difference.

My question is what do they do to suspension geometry? I am sure there are tie rod or bumpsteer issues with shorter inner arms? shorter outers? That is correctable with a bumpsteer kit.

It is no autocross car but I do not want any ill handling issues. Not just a straight line car. What is caused by the arms being shorter? Can it be overcome? with additional mods? Driver input?

Thanks

Marcus SC&C
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Shorter arms make the suspension dynamics more abrupt. Eliptical arcs become more so etc. It makes a bad suspension worse. It also increases the scrub radius when combined with wide wheels with less back spacing. All bad,no upside,no reason for them to exist at all really. They don`t let you run wider wheels they just let you run less back spacing. Silly parts. Mark SC&C