PDA

View Full Version : Help! Boiling Fuel

dws1216
03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I need some help. I have a 74 Chevy Blazer with a 400 SB. It has a manual fuel pump. Well, on hot days and after driving about 10 miles my truck begins to stall and will not restart for some time. When I pop the hood I can see bubbles erupting in the fuel filter.

The fuel line from the tank runs along the inside of the frame. The line from the pump originally ran up the front of the engine and accros the manifold to the carb but I re-routed out over the wheel well then back to the carb to help with cooling. Did not work.

I have tried electric pumps. One standard pump, but it did not get enough fuel to the edlebrock carb. I tried a high performance edlebrock pump, but it was just to noise and annoying. Although it did work. I have replaced the sending unit, made sure that I was not loosing spark. Basically, tried everything I can think of.

Have any of you ever experience this??? Or even heard of it before now? I have inquired at local shops for assistance and have stumped everyone.

HILROD
03-23-2007, 07:20 AM
I had a problem like that on a newer Blazer. It was a cracked rubber hose that would suck air. Have you tried a better mechanical pump?

Lowend
03-24-2007, 07:32 AM
First things first - get a lazer thermometer and check the temp of the fuel line at various locations.

FJB2069
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I had a similar problem with carburetor getting hot and boiling over.

Put a spacer in between the manifold and carb made of plastic/fiberglass. MOroso or equivilant.

dws1216
03-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I will try the lazer thermometer this weekend and repost with results. Thanks guys.

1982ccz-28
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I used some of the heat shield insulating cover that is made for fuel lines and such. My fuel lines run along the frame rail which is very close to my headers and was really cooking the fuel. It comes in various od's for all types lines. It does work, I haven't had any problem with my fuel since.