PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6 HVC--can it be run on the street

tumper93
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
I have the opportunity to get an msd 6 hvc from a friend but I don't know if it can be run on a street motor. Anybody ever run one like this? realize it takes a particullar coil...no big deal. This is the 6 hvc not a 6al. Thnaks for any help

chicane67
03-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Yup, you sure can. The 6HVC is still quite tame and can be used... but there are those out there including MSD, that will even say no.

I have used 7AL2's and Digital 7P's in daily drivers without problems. Cooling is the biggest issue and I think is the biggest reason for people to say that you can not effectively run one in an endurance (like street) driving.

tumper93
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
So I just need to pay closer attention to the coolant temp is what you are saying? This will be on an 574 horse 385 with a fluidyne 3-core aluminum radiator and a lincoln mk8 fan. haven't driven it yet it is still a few months away but I am in the area of finishing the ignition system and needed to be sure before going any further.

chicane67
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
No... not engine cooling. Electrical/electronic component cooling.

You need to keep the ign box and coil cool. Meaning, that it is in your best interest not to locate either device under the hood... and would be best if it were inside the cockpit and you could direct cool air to them.

tumper93
03-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Gotcha!!! Thanks for your input.