PDA

View Full Version : How did you mount them? Air-Ride Dilema

1971novaSS
03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I converted the ladder bars into a 3-link setup over the weekend(pain in the but and alot of welding, but well worth the handling ability).

The question has to do with where to mount the airbags in the rear, On the axel itself and then connect to frame or to make a bracket to the lower suspension links and then connect it to the frame????

Seems like i will get more vertical raise/lowering with it on the links due to sinple geometry. But what do you think on the issue? What have others done?

Hope my explanation makes sense. Thanks in advance for opinions/info.

6'9"Witha69
03-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Mounted to the rear will be better for dampening and spring rates. While the geometry you have shows greater range with a fixed movement, the rear end will have more leverage against the springs when installed on the arm vs. the rear end.

Make sense? I read it and am not sure if I came across correctly.

1971novaSS
03-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Ok, i think i uderstannd what you are saying. Basically the spring rate is different when mounted on the rear in comparison to them mounted on the links. My car will be built more for handling so im guessing that i should mount it on the rear?

darren@ridetech
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I would mount them to the axle. Which air spring are you using?

1971novaSS
03-19-2007, 07:25 PM
I might go with the ART in all four corners, the kit for a 67-69 camaro since the front suspension is the same. I am fabricating the rear mounts myself so those don't matter.

The kit comes with all the lines/hardware/gauges/wiring... ect., Everything needed to set it up fully. The bags are just the double convolted?.. not sure of the word but the double bellow's all the way around. I will be running a 3-way adjustable shock in the rear to help out with stiffness/handleing issues if i run into any.

I wish i wasn't on a budject for the air ride, otherwise i would get a much better performing setup(i am in college still and have to buy the paint in a few weeks as well since i am painting her myself), I have the shop/supplies and booth to paint and have painted base/clear before. I am going to spend about 1200 or so i figure on the air ride. As for front shocks i will re-locating them with the re-locating kit.

So i guess i will be running it directly to the housing and then up to the crossmember i have made. Shocks will be on the same crossmember.

I will post pics tomarow when i have more light available, and i am on my way out to the shop to finish my top third link right now.