PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump?

blown69nova
12-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I just recieved my Ricks hot rods "Stealth" gas tank (beautiful) which is set up for an in tank Aeromotive A1000 pump. What I want to know is are these pumps reliable enough for continous duty, power touring, etc.? Using this on my 383 w/blower and about 600-650rwhp. Any other pump suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Steve

camcojb
12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
I just recieved my Ricks hot rods "Stealth" gas tank (beautiful) which is set up for an in tank Aeromotive A1000 pump. What I want to know is are these pumps reliable enough for continous duty, power touring, etc.? Using this on my 383 w/blower and about 600-650rwhp. Any other pump suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Steve

I didn't know you could use that pump in-tank; are you sure?

It will support 800 supercharged HP, and is quiet, especially if you use rubber insulators. Some guys have had issue with them getting hot on warm days and sitting in traffic, but I have not.

Jody

pushrod243
12-10-2004, 09:41 PM
My a1000 is externally mounted. I havent had any complaints so far but only have 1000 miles on the car. I hardly hear it in the car when the motors off. Cant hear it at all once its started. I agree with Jody though I wasnt aware you could rub it in the tank. You should check which pump you need.

Blown353
12-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Absolutely no problem mounting an A1000 in the tank. The only negative is the more difficult access. Other than that, there are only positives to the in-tank installation-- a real short path to the inlet on the fuel pump, it's totally immersed and will run even cooler, and it will be sound isolated.

I just checked out Rick's website and his tanks are NICE! I wish he was making his stuff at the time I bought my Rock Valley; I would have bought one of his tanks! I'm now considering modding my Rock Valley to mount my SX pump in-tank.

How is access to the fuel filter? It looks kind of difficult to get to in the pictures on his website, although access to the fuel pump seems pretty good.

About the only issue with Aeromotive pumps is that they like to burn up quick if you have excessive restrictions on the inlet side (long suction hose, uphill run from the tank to the pump, lots of restrictive fittings on the suction side, clogged pre-filter)-- they seem to be a little more sensitive than other external pumps to these kinds of issues and Aeromotive issued a little bulletin about this a while back. With Rick's setup, the path to the pump is very short, fuel level will always be above the pump; just make sure you don't clog the pre-filter and the pump should live a very long and happy life.

Troy

blown69nova
12-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Thanks for replies guys. As to filter access, looks like I will have to remove the pump and filter asy. to service filter( on Nova tank).The access panel is 8" dia., 1/4" thick and the flange is machined out of billet stainless!