PDA

View Full Version : Need some help here

JMitch19
08-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Okay I need to know what you guys think. I am seriously thinking about buying a car that is for sale on camaros.net. I talked to the guy selling the car seems pretty cool he took pictures of all the spots I asked for pictures of everything looks pretty good. The problem is that the car is in Overland Park, KS and I’m in Grand Rapids, MI. I plan to have the car shipped if I purchase it, I was going to have him send me the title then I would send him the money. The problem is he has no title. The no title thing is all that worries me if he had a title I would not hesitate. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Jason

Ralph LoGrasso
08-17-2004, 09:56 AM
What year is it? I don't like the no title thing myself, I would see if he could get a title first. One of the major snags with Fantom was that it took 9 months to get the title since Tyler had to track down the old owner, and then we had problems with the old owner since he wasn't cooperating, etc. I wouldn't personally buy it without a title.

68protouring454
08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
man, its a 30 year old car, and most states you do not need a title of the car after its 15 years old, so people stop transferring it, i would just ask for vin numbers and check with the state police, if it turns out fine then buy it, i have bought many cars without titles, but maybe here in maine its different, goodluck
jake

JMitch19
08-17-2004, 10:14 AM
From what I have heard Michigan is an easier state to get a title in, but i'm more than just a lil worried about sending this guy all this money and getting pimped. It looks like a good project car though. I sold a restored 67 rs convertible last fall to pay for my last year of college. I've been looking for a good project car ever since and this thing is the first one I've come a cross. oh by the way it's a 69 coupe.

Jason

whytry
08-17-2004, 10:17 AM
I would run the VIN as well, if it comes up clean and the guy seems like a stand up guy then I would have to really consider buying it. Especially if MI is one of the easier states like some of the others said..

Just my .02...

Ralph LoGrasso
08-17-2004, 10:23 AM
If you're concerned about getting ripped off, go through an escrow (sp) account.

derekf
08-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Whytry,

If you don't mind, would you please resize your sig pic down to roughly 75x250 or so? We're trying to keep it friendly for dial-up users.

If you want/need any help resizing, please feel free to let me or Ralph know.

Thanks!
Derek

Gonzostyle
08-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I tend to agree with Ralph on this one, I would not buy a car without a title. I have done it 4 times, each time has been an extreme hassle. As a matter of fact, the last one I bought was a 67 camaro (VERY nice shell). I called my local DMV to ask about it (I had the VIN) and they could not find anything in their computer system, which means it had not been registered in like 12+ years.
So I bought the car with no title. When I went to start the paperwork (get the VIN verified etc) they managed to find the VIN in their computer. The car had a salvaged title, and was last registered in 1985 to someone OTHER than the guy I bought it from. What ensued was a HUGE paper trail that went through 4 people, all of which I had to track down and get signatures from. or send registered mail too, with return receipt, restricted delivery, etc (read expensive letter)
My sugestion is have the seller get the paperwork together and then sell it. Or maybe check you state laws, you may be able to just have it inspected and get a new title.

-Jeremie

StRacerDuke
08-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Lost titles suck. I'd suggest having the current owner do all the work to get the title or work the time it will take you to do it into the sale price. If you're worried about getting crapped on then use an escrow company.

JMitch19
08-17-2004, 11:38 AM
well I have spent the last two hours on the phone getting transfered from one department to another trying to find out if this car has ever been reported stolen or anything like that. The one answer I keep getting is I can't give that information to the public, but let me transfer you to some that can help. Anyone have any ideas??
VIN is 124379N591984

Jason

mdprovee
08-17-2004, 12:10 PM
My wife works for the Police Dept here in Ca. She will run the Vin number, but they have to do it by state. I had here do it in KS, MI. It will take about 2 hours, because doing under the table. She said go to you insurance company. They have a broader range data base, they should be able to help. I will post what she finds when she calls me back.

Mike

JMitch19
08-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Thanks alot!

Jason

mdprovee
08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Well wy wife ran it through the system and came up with nothing for either state, also did Ca., nothing there either. She said to go through your insurance they will give you better results as their data base is national. Good luck.

Mike

Steve Chryssos
01-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Oops! Wrong thread somehow. That's very wierd. Dern hotel connection.

USAZR1
01-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't buy it without a title. Too many potential pitfalls involved.

Patrick
01-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Do your research up front:

Not only should you run the VIN#, but you also go see your DMV office in person. Buying a car without a title and keeping it the same state can be a hassle...Add to the fact that you want to buy in one state and register in another.

Find out exactly what MI is going to require to title and register the car.

AndyB
01-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I recently used this company (http://www.its-titles.com/) to get a title for me. The $120 was well worth it.

autokraft
01-22-2006, 04:54 PM
First off, you should really go and look at the car in person (after the seller obtains a title of course) I know it's not a drive across town but you would see first hand what you might be getting and self assurance goes along way these days.

Damn True
01-22-2006, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't consider buying a car sight unseen with no title.

If you can't look at it in person (or have someone you trust do it for you), and if you can't get a title wait for a safer opportunity.

JMitch19
01-23-2006, 05:06 AM
Wow, talk about an old thread. Long story short I drove the 11 hrs, bought the car, and michigan is super easy to get a title in. I've had the car for about 14 months, and had a title for it for 11 months.