PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro front springs??

brads69
12-10-2004, 04:46 PM
does anyone know how much the "2" inch hotchkis lowering springs actually lower the car. i already have the springs but i'm thinking of cutting half a coil to get the car down 3 inches in the front. has anyone done this or have any input. thanks, Brad

RighteousReaper
12-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I am wondering the same thing. Several months back I decided to buy some new coils and springs, my car was approximately the same ride height front and rear. My rear leafs were stock ones that were shackled up, but they were so saggy that the car sat below stock ride height. I put global west lowering leafs in the rear(2 1/4" drop i think) and the rear was about the same height as before.
I also bought the hotchkis 2" lowering coils. I didn't know about the the front springs, but i thought they may have been cut and/or were sagging slightly from age(same as the situation in the rear). I was hoping to keep the about the same height as before, but have new springs with a firm and steady ride. When the hotchkis was installed in the front and the car was put back on the ground i was very disappointed. The front was dramatically lower than before and my front wheel wells sat directly on top of my wheels which obviously made it impossible to drive. My car looked like a serious dragster. I put the old coils back on. My tire size is 235/60/r15 which should be about 26.1 inches overall diameter. I have seen several 69 camaro's with 17" and 18" wheels that have the exact same Hotchkis 2"coils and their front suspension was supposedly stock. They look about the same maybe a little lower than mine. Am I missing out on something, did they modify the wheel well or what? At the the time i bought them Hotckis even had a 69 camaro on their site with the same size tires as mine and the 2" drop. You can check out my pics to see the ride height with 2 1/4 drop in the rear and whatever the heck my old front coils are. I still have the hotchkis 2inchers in my garage.