PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the arcticle on rack conversions in HOT ROD?

pav8427
03-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Looking at the Flaming River set up for Chevelles on the first page,it looks like they are using a standard rack and made a bracket,bolted to the original inner tie rod points,to locate the inner tie rods at the width they needed.
This looks like a feasible way to do what I would like to do for mine.
But my concerns would be with what kind of loads would increased on the rack. Both lengthwise and rotational.
I would think that if the bracket was made as close to the center line of the rack that longitudinal loads would be increased very little. But what keeps the bracket from rotating besides the pinion riding on the rack?
I think that if a person built the set up to put the rack forward of the bracket and tie rods, that this would give more room for the engine and accessories. Keep in mind this would be for a front steer application.
Any input on this theory?

Thanks, Doug

LowBuckX
03-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Uni-steer. Ive looked at there Chevelle unit installed and its nice. I dont see it listed on their site yet But I was at Uni-steer the other day and they where putting one on a chevelle in the R&D garage

pav8427
03-17-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm only looking at the theory of building a set up like this.
Just curious what kind of loads to expect and if it would be feasible.
Building it would not be a problem. Just don't see how something like this would be kept from 'rotating'. I suppose if a person wanted to beef it up he could use a linear bearing set up to support the bracket seperate from the rack. The main picture also shows a 'center steer rack that looks like it would be easier to build and beefier, does anyone happen to know what these types of racks were used on and what would be a good starting point as far as ratio would be?

Doug.

matthimself456
03-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I can see how that would solve the problem of needing a rediculously short rack in an A-body to maintain proper geometry. I would just question the benefits of doing so. All of those kits are very expensive and with that big bracket and whatever it would take to support it I would think most of the weight savings would be gone. I think a traditional steering box set up very well would steer just as well for a lot less cash. If you are looking at them for space reasons, or course, then that is another issue...

pav8427
03-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I can get a Vette rack that is 22'' or so in length, but I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at around 19-20" between inner tie rods.
I would contemplate shortening one my self. But thought this set up would actually help w/engine clearence.

Doug