PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

jjl4004
03-14-2007, 04:35 AM
Hello all. I have finally saved up enough $ to start the conversion of my 68 Chevelle to a pro-touring car. It currently has stock front disc brakes, rear drums, stock suspension, springs and shocks. I plan on putting on some 18" wheels and of course, need the right stance. The car will remain a street car and hopefully some day will be ready for a road course (once a year or so), but what I really want is the car to look good and handle well.

My question is, where do you think I should start this project? Should I start with beefing up the suspension components with somehting like a Hotchkis TVS system? Would coil-over shocks get the car's stance right? Dropped spindles? If I go with the drop spindles, don't I need to convert the brakes at the same time, and then that would also require me to get the wheel/tire combo as well? I'm guessing wheels/tires/brakes all should be done at the same time...?

I'm just looking for a little direction from you guys since you have been in my situation before. I currently have around $2,000 to spend on the first portion of this conversion. (Credit card is available as well if I need to spend a little more:) )

Jim Nilsen
03-14-2007, 05:43 AM
AirRide, some good brakes and a reasonable set of wheels and the best tires you can buy would be a goal that is straightforward and well defined. Cost may be in the 4k area or more before you get done but it could be done in stages that suit you for either looks or function.

A good suspension bushing kit,bigger sway bars, shocks,a more aggressive alignment and the best tires you can buy will drastically change the way the car rides and handles. You may be able to do this for 2k.

Wheels change the car and it's direction you can go with the other components. Bigger brakes need bigger wheels and vise versa. You could easily spend just 2k on wheels, or wheels and tires in a package.

Welcome to the hard choices we all make and hopefully you will not tear your car apart and not drive it forever like I have.

This is going to be interesting to see what other will do with 2k ?

astroracer
03-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Hard choices is absolutely correct! The first thing you need to ask yourself is do you want to drive the car or have it sitting in the shop? You do NOT have to do everything at once.
The first suggestion I would make is to do the drop. Dropped spindles and springs in front and lowering springs in back. While you have the suspension apart install some poly-graphite bushings and decent shocks.
The drop can be done and still use the stock brakes, tires and wheels. Drive the car, let it settle in and then order up your tires and wheels to fit the drop. You may find that, with these few improvements, the car will out handle both your abilities AND street conditions. You may not need to spend money on "new" suspensions to make it "handle"... It is surprizing how well a stock, rebuilt suspension will handle with a little lowering and good tires and wheels. Especially for a driver. Do the brakes as you get the time and money.
Mark

jjl4004
03-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Jim-No kidding about the hard choices! I know that $2,000 isn't much to start with, but I'm anxious/ready to get going and do something to start the conversion. It's too bad that all of the wheel/tire combos I like are over $2k total, but I'll get there step by step. By the way, I'm originally from Rockford and just moved up to Madison a few years ago. How long until you think your car will be done?

Astro-I've heard from others that I should go with "tall" spindles due to the A body's poor handling issues?

Anybody heard bad things about the Hotchkis TVS? I have another thread going on another site and someone said that it is good quality, but poor design due to using the B spindle? I'm a rookie when it comes to suspension and chasis set up. Most of my experience comes from engine, tranny and interior work.

Thanks for your opinions!

Jim Nilsen
03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Madison is a whole lot more fun than Rockford, a good move in my book. I hope to hear it run and drive it this year. As far as being done, the small details and bugs will probably take up all of next winter along with any new parts for upgrades. I could spend money on brakes that would be better but the ones on it will stop really well so I am going to try to concentrate on what I need to get running. What I really need is the all the plumbing and the wiring done including the exhaust and I am good to go down the road for testing.

I will second the motion for the modified stock setup and really good tires being all that you may want out of it or can drive. It is easy to go to far and live without the comfort level you may want?

Goodluck

jjl4004
03-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. I pulled the cover off it last Thursday and snapped this picture...It needs to be lowered pretty bad...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/03/Chevelle3152007-1.jpg

ProdigyCustoms
03-19-2007, 05:56 AM
For your less then your $2000, you can do a Hotchkis TVS kit and get the car looking right quickly.

stealth71
03-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Check out www.scandc.com Stage II kit in front w/ new springs and adjusters. New rear control arms and springs. This will give you the most adjustability, a much lower ride height and fit in your budget.