PDA

View Full Version : The BBS RK?

Hoofs70
12-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Does anybody know if the BBS RK like in Stielow red Camaro will fit a 70 Chevelle? My local tire guy looked into it and said that BBS does not make that wheel in my bolt pattern. Does anybody know if that Camaro has different bolt patern, other than chevy?

Thanks Jeff

derekf
12-10-2004, 04:38 AM
Welcome to the site, Jeff.

Camaro and Chevelle are both a 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern - but I'm not sure if that particular Camaro had stock hubs or not.

As mentioned in THIS thread (http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=2725), the bolt pattern on some BMWs is pretty close to the stock Chevelle pattern.

XJ and XK series Jaguars are 5x120.7mm - which translates to roughly 5x4.75"... so you may be able to use those as well (but there may be issues with hub diameter, etc - do your research before dropping big money on wheels!)

I find it hard to believe that BBS wheels aren't available for Chevys. You might want to ask a different wheel person for a second opinion.

Matt
12-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Most of the backspacings they offer seem low as well.

JamesD
12-10-2004, 04:53 PM
i've been looking into BBS rims for my camaro for awhile, they are mainly used for imports and european cars, its been really hard trying to find information on them for camaros. the BBS rims that come on some BMWs seem to fit, but the widest they have is like 17x8" and i need 17x11, make sure to post some more info if you find any.

apex69
12-10-2004, 05:57 PM
The BBS RK wheel bolt circle is .030 smaller at 4.72" diameter (120mm) vs. the Chevy 4.75" (120.65).

Not much you say. The problem lies in where you would begin to tighten your lug nuts down. It is impossible to evenly seat all five nuts without biasing one of them. This then will put a side load on two or more of your lug bolts. This side loading will add unwanted stress into the bolt and would eventually fail.

1) You could buy or have hub centric rings made from aluminum/steel (also mentioned in the other thread by Martin) that fit the ID of the wheel center and at the same time fit the OD of the hub. The fit here needs to be tight. You will need one ring for each wheel. The ring will allow the wheel to center to the hub thus, keeping it stationary (not allowing any side movement). This will allow the lug nuts to evenly and equally side load each lug bolt and provide an equal amount of nut to wheel load distribution.

You could install ARP bolts in the hubs and axles, which are higher in tensile and yield strength, along with following the centric ring installation. That would provide an added level of security but regardless, the bolt circle will NOT be the same on center as the bolt circle from the wheel, to the axel/hub of a Chevy 4.74” vs. BBS RK or BMW 4.72”. The mentioned above will help to reduce the risk of fitment issues. :rolleyes5

Things I don’t know. Is the tapered angle of the Chevy lug the same as the tapered angle of the BBS RK or the BMW wheels that I have been looking into? Don’t know yet. :dunno:

If you want to forgo what ifs, as I may do. Buy axels and have them drilled at the 4.72” bolt circle, Strange will do this Moser will do this (since I asked them), and I would imaging any axel manufacture would honor such a request. On the fronts have the hub/rotor drilled at the 4.72” BC (new holes) you will now have 10 holes in your hub/rotor and will need to have some sort of identifier on it since they are so close dimensionally to ensure you install the lug bolts into the right holes or, purchase the hub/rotors direct and have a single BC drilled. :hmm:
This eliminaes the need for the centric rings.

I may figure it out one of these days.:hammer:

BTW, I have spoken with two individules who also have used the hub centering rings with much success and 15K+ miles still going. They always check torque of the lugs but nothing unusal found to date.

Hoofs70
12-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Cool, thanks for the responses. Maybe it'll be easier to find some different wheels.

Martin71RS
12-12-2004, 12:26 AM
7000miles without problems (regular checking bolts though) and quite some times at 130mph speeds.....

baz67
12-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Checking your bolts at 130mph must be fun!

JamesD
12-12-2004, 01:24 PM
i doubt stielow would have put wheels on the thrasher that didn't fit, does anyone know if he got custom axles and front hubs or if the bolt spacing on the wheels were custom?

79T/Aman
12-12-2004, 06:28 PM
in the dec. 1998 Hot rod mag. had a red 70 Camaro on the cover with BBS RK on it, the article said the size was 17x8 1/2 front and 17x10 rear with 245-40 and 315-35 tires, after reading about the car I checked with The tire rack, and they told me that they no longer made the 10"but did have the 8 1/2" available for a 5x4.75 bolt patern,now that was 6 years ago :dunno:

Martin71RS
12-13-2004, 01:26 AM
17x8.5 is still available as far as I know...I think the 17x10 is a special order item

and yes, checking the nuts at 130 isn't fun :scared:

:hammer: baz67 :slap:

Matt
12-13-2004, 05:44 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I don't know who owns the car, but I do know who took the pic, I asked him and hopefully he can find out where the guy got them.
...at least this is a ray of hope right. That looks wide enough, but I can't recall the bolt pattern on stangs. It looks like it has at least some offset....so it may work.

-Matt

Martin71RS
12-13-2004, 06:02 AM
http://www.bbs-ag.com
maybe just mail the ones who make them?? or is this too easy?

apex69
12-13-2004, 08:32 AM
BBS makes the these for the Ford bolt pattern.

http://www.baer.com/Media/ContentDetails.aspx?ContentID=100

JamesD
12-13-2004, 09:45 AM
i remember there was a red second gen in hot rod mag that had BBS rims and also a red third gen camaro that was built for the power tour that had them. so i guess it is possible

Martin71RS
12-13-2004, 12:07 PM
sure it is possible...

only thing is you need center rings and bore the center out a bit for the front axles.....

it is that simple.

oh and the red 2nd gen belonged too ARP's president I believe...still have that article somewhere

Hoofs70
12-15-2004, 02:31 AM
Well it turns out that I ran into a old highschool friend, that is now working in a shop that rebuilds vintage race cars. I now have a ringer in my corner, :icon996: he said that that he could make any wheel work. I said cool. We're gonna get a game plan drawn up and go from there. Thanks guys

Has anybody seen the RK in Plasma, does it look black to you?

kmracer
12-19-2004, 07:24 PM

I don't know who owns the car, but I do know who took the pic, I asked him and hopefully he can find out where the guy got them.
...at least this is a ray of hope right. That looks wide enough, but I can't recall the bolt pattern on stangs. It looks like it has at least some offset....so it may work.

-Matt
early mustangs are 5x4 1/4
late mustangs are 5x4 1/2
so no ford wheels will work here....