PDA

View Full Version : sbc oil pressure drop ?

jasonsnova
03-08-2007, 07:49 AM
my 355 in my nova after a high rpm run when i let off it looses oil pressure, it goes down to probally 15-20lbs from 70lbs, and if i bump the throttle it comes right back instantly to idle pressure of 40-50(hot) , now ....it never did this before until i switch pans, i went from a moroso 7qt deep sump(it was fine) to a 7 qt side kick out style (off brand,i think it was a summit one) it did have the matching pickup with it too , anyway im pulling the motor shortly for a trans swap and am going to change the pan ...again, any suggestions on pans? 6 qt ? 7 qt? should i just go back to the deep 7 qt style(which i didnt have a problem with!) anyone have a simular problem? the car does have a early 70 lt1 style windage tray too.

dhardison
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Does your current oil pan have a baffle in the sump? Oil pan baffles are there to keep the oil from flowing to the front of the pan (and away from the pickup) when decelerating.

jasonsnova
03-09-2007, 04:38 AM
honestly i dont remember if it had a baffle or not ,but that would make sense because it doesnt do it if i am just reving it up while not moving! either way its going... anyone know if i should run a 6 or 7 qt? i may just go back to the style i had before....

ProBell
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I had the same problem with a drag car I had. In that case the pickup fell off the bottom of the oil pump tube.
On my Camaro I lost oil pressure under heavy braking. I solved that with added baffles and a 3 quart Accusump just for extra insurance.

Randy