PDA

View Full Version : Question About TH2004R swap-problem with linkage

BulldawgMusclecars
03-07-2007, 02:47 PM
I installed a TH2004R trans in a '63 Impala, replacing a TH350. the car originally had a 2 speed Powerglide, on the collumn, and the owner (my dad) wants to keep it as a collumn shift. I installed a Lokar mechanical linkage kit, and it worked ok to me, but he didn't like it; said it required too much effort to shift (granted, it did feel notchier than a stock collumn normally would, but the shifter always felt way too loose on the car to being with). We tried Lokar's cable kit, and it is actually worse, and for some reason there isn't enough travel for it to engage anything to the right of the overdrive gear (no 1,2, or 3). I'm thinking there just isn't enough travel on the shift arm coming out of the original collumn, at least for the cable shift to work properly. If it were up to me, I'd just put the mechanical linkage back on and call it a day, but since that isn't an option would an aftermarket collumn like an Ididit solve the problem? I looked at one (in a '57 Chevy) and it appears to have more travel than the stock collumn would, and the fact that it can be clocked would likely eliminate the need for the mickey mouse c-bracket I had to use with the stock collumn. Anybody ever run into this problem?

billz428
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Give Bowtie Overdrive a call, they might be of help.