PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Throttle Body water outlet

barno68
03-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I have a '96 vette LT1 transplant that I am tying to get all the hoses routed prior to mating it back up with the body. Where does the water outlet (or is it the inlet) on the front of the throttle body tie back into the cooling system? I don't see anything on the water pump other than heater hose nipples. The inlet on the side was pretty easy as it routed to the back of the heads. Thanks.

Brent

Samckitt
03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
It ties back into the hose that goes back to the radiator. This water port on the bottom of the throttle body is used to de-ice the throttle blade. But if you are not driving it in cold weather, then do as I did & get a steam return hose for a 93 Trans Am. This one goes strait to the radiator & not through the throttle body. That way the incoming air stays cool. That is the thinking anyway.

barno68
03-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Scot,

Is there some sort of fitting built into the radiator hose or is it a seperate piece? Thanks.

Brent

Samckitt
03-07-2007, 07:09 AM
There must be some type of fitting on the radiator hose or another "T" somewhere to connect it to. But I am not sure where it is. I had seen some information somewhere that they had drilled & taped a whole in one of the waternecks on the waterpump. I'll see if I can find anything that shows what it connects to.

BulldawgMusclecars
03-07-2007, 04:36 PM
The stock radiators in LT1 cars (at least in the F-body applications) have two hose barbs in the filler neck area; there isn't a "t" coming off the radiator hose. On my 97 SS, the throttle body coolant is bypassed, and the steel tube from the heads is connected to one of those barbs (the other is for the overflow).

BRIAN
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Vette and F Bodies have different hose set ups. There are also different hose set ups for Vettes with different water pump and hoses.

Go to a GM dealer and ask for a part print out for the upper radiator hose. It will contain a schematic of the entire upper system

That being said, for my 92 Vette I simply used the factory 92 Vette T which dumps the TB hose into the upper radiator hose. If you want I can find a pic of my engine compartment.

Derek69SS
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
On the B-body LT1s, there is a metal steam line that comes off the back of the heads and runs along the right side valvecover. There is a short piece of hose from the metal line into the right/rear tube on the throttle-body. The heated coolant runs through the throttle-body housing, and out the tube on the front/left of the TB. From there it goes into the recovery/expansion tank.

It's worth about 2hp to bypass the TB and run the hose directly from the steam line to the recovery tank.

I believe 'vettes use a similar setup, but F-bodies have a completely different expansion tank recovery system.

barno68
03-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Running to the expantion tank is interesting, I wonder how much flow there is through this hose. I would think it would be easier to find a 3/4 tee and plumb it into one of the heater hoses. Any thoughts on this?

If it is only steam that runs through the metal line, would I need to install a check valve to prevent coolant backflow into the head?

Thanks.

Brent

Samckitt
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't send it to the expansion tank. I would be afraid it would overflow. I would run it directly to the radiator, or into the outlet neck on the water pump.