PDA

View Full Version : Frank here it is..And everyone else too..:)

69protour
08-17-2004, 07:26 AM
Hey Frank, Just thought I'd let you know what we came up with on the 383 buildup I asked you about some time ago.
Eagle rotating assembly w/ D dish pistons, 6" rods and steel crank.
Dart Iron Eagle 200's. 64cc
Cam specs. 538/544 lift. 251/256 [email protected] Solid lifter
Victor Jr. with a 750 HP Holley or Demon?? I know you don't like the Demons.. :)
Zero Decking
I'm going to change the rearend gear from a 3.50 to ?????
Also 3000 stall.
Now a question for anyone and everyone's imput. Which Tranny should I go with? I've got a 350 now, but I would love to go with the 700R and put a little bit deeper gear in the rear with the overdrive. Some guys I've talked to said that it wouldn't hold up very good? I've also heard with a motor like this to use a 400? :help:
Thanks guys. Trond

ProdigyCustoms
08-17-2004, 12:48 PM
It sounds like a nice package. I would look for a Holley, nuff said. The TH350 will be fine, I run one in my street racer putting 900HP or so to it. A TH400 will absorb 20 more HP. I have not had any luck with 700Rs at the track, but know some that have. I guess it really depends on how much you want to spend, and how much time at the track you will do. Assuming you have a common 26" to 27" tire, a 3.73 will work OK, and be plenty streetable. In the 1960s, 3.73s were common place. A 4.10 might be to deep to actually make it to the end, a 3.90 would probably be the perfect dragstrip gear, but 3.73 are the cheapest gear you can get.
The 3000 stall will be soft for the dragstrip, a 3500 really is not that much on the street, but if it is an everyday driver, do the 3000, and know you are leaving a few tenths in the bag.

Frank

workbenchracer
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
The gearing depends on what you are going to do. Autocross, cruisin, track days, whatever. It could also make a difference in your trans choice. If you are going to drive a couple of hours to run on tracks or other events an overdrive might be nice, from trans or aftermarket. I am not much on trans knowledge but I will throw these tid bits out which might be challenged/ corrected later. The 350 is lighter than the 400 (50lbs?). A 700 has the lowest 1st gear followed by the 350 then the 400. Not sure on the weight of the 700. Any of these trans can be made to handle pretty good HP. This is coming from the area of my head that is full of gibberish. And remember- your not going to do anything money can't fix. :scared:

69protour
08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm going with a 3.89 gear. And I'm going to use the 350 with a 3200 stall. So could anyone figure out the HP and Torque approx. with desktop dyno or something like that please. Or, if your THAT good, just some rough figures off the top of the noggin :hmm:
Thanks Trond

ProdigyCustoms
08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
Don't use them, they are often off by miles. You have the makings of a motor knocking on the 500HP door. 475 to 500 is a good guess, but you may squeeze a tick more. Whatever it is, you will be happy

gmachinz
08-23-2004, 09:49 AM
My suggestion is to use only a full synthetic fluid and run a quality external cooler-bypassing the radiator. Heta is 90% of the reasons why transmissions suffer anyway combined witht hefact thata lot of people don't change their fluid often enough IMO so this will greatly enhance the longevity and performance out of it. I use a TH350 as well with a B&M Holeshot 3000 converter with a Perma-Cool cooler and a '92 Eagle Talon engine fan for cooling the fluid. At operating temps I regularly see 140-150 degrees on my gauge and it takes quite a while to get even that high. Every time I change my fluid I never see any debris in the pan. -G

69protour
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Why not run the cooler in the radiator and an external? Thats what I am planning to do. Wouldn't that work a little better with both? What brand synthetic is best? Thanks guys.
Trond

ProdigyCustoms
08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
I personally do not use synthetic trans fluid, although I am sure they are great. I enjoy the luxury of changing the trans on a regular basis for $1.00 a quart.
Differential, I use synthetic and don't look back, it's just a couple quarts for life.
Engine, I like Mobil 1 from Walmart for $16.50 for 5 quart jug.
I've spent the big money on oils, back to back testing with no difference from Amsoil, Royal Purple, to Mobil 1, however I did positively pick up switching from Valvoline racing 50 to Mobil 1, at the track, the same day in testing. Picked up 9/100ths, which is a lot in a mid 10 second car. Also picked up 5/100ths with the differential using Royal Purple from standard gear oil, then picked up another 5/100ths running it a half quart low, but not recommended for street use running low.
The trans I never tried. Never had a failure due to fluid best I can tell, and at 14 plus quarts (depending on coolers and lines), I just have not tried it. Since it is impossible to get the old fluid all out without a rebuild, there is no real scientific way for me to test trans fluids. Anything gained or lost could easily be gained or lost in the tear down and rebuild.

JMO