PDA

View Full Version : Cowl Induction

jamieg285
03-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Not strictly carburation, but seemed to be the closest category, please feel free to move if there is a proper place for this.

I have just purchased a bolt on 1980 Cowl scoop for a Camaro, and intend to fit it to my current stock, flat hood and get it functioning.

I plan to cut a hole in the hood, and raise the air cleaner up, either by carb spacers or taller filter, or maybe both.

I am looking for information and advice regarding sealing the air cleaner (or not) so that the only air intake is through the cowl. Should I add an intake via snorkel, as it came from the factory?

There is a solenoid operated flap on the back of the cowl. Is there any benefit to having it closed, or should it be removed? Does it depend on the underbonnet seals?

Any and all help is appreciated.

CarlC
03-06-2007, 08:04 AM
You could try to adapt a 1st gen Camaro cowl flapper system. It would take some time consuming fabrication.

I do not use a flapper and have had no problems in the rain. There's info on my website.

LS6 Tommy
03-11-2007, 09:15 AM
You can get almost every part needed to duplicate the factory stuff. As for the flapper, it was designed for the fact that production cars had a thermovac switch that would lock out the flapper and open the underhood air flap in the stock filter can for cold weather operation. If it's a "hot rod", you probably don't need it.

Tommy

MonzaRacer
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
I would set it up to open while its running but close when the engine is off to keep the leaves and other flotsam out.