PDA

View Full Version : What Shock should i Use...?

mueen
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
hey everyone! i have a 1969 GTO rag top, i'm having a hard time choosing shocks. i have already ordered a set of hotchkis springs and going to order a front sway bar as well.. just dont know if KYB would be good enough for my car application... are KYB any good? ..i would like to use them because the price is good..
thanks everyone
i am going to try to post a pic of my car and how do you guys change the rims on the car from the computer? thats really cool how you guys can do that!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/03/233656442_img-1.jpg

Norm Peterson
03-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Which KYB's?

GR-2's are nothing more than OE replacement shocks.

Gas-A-Justs are NOT adjustable, never mind what the name suggests. They work acceptably well with OE spring rates, though some have found the ride to be a bit harsh. They aren't particularly suitable for use with springs that are substantially stiffer than stock, if that matters.

Norm

6'9"Witha69
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Go with the Bilsteins that Hotchkis sells. They are valved to match their springs and keep the ride nice without bouncing all over. Proper dampening is very important to road feel on and off thye course. It is really needed in a street car for the not-so-perfect roads we endure.

KYBs do not belong anywhere near a "performance" application. Especially not a Hotchkis or equivalent setup.

Goatman
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Ya get's what ya pay's for..........

jeffandre
03-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I just ordered a ful set of Hotchkis Bilstein's from GP Superstore (check the sponsor listings to the right >>>) on Monday and they gave me a great deal!

Tony_SS
03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Pay a little more and get the Bilsteins.

pitts64
03-07-2007, 06:39 PM
My KYBs started leaking and I sent them back, they looked like junk to me anyhow. I replaced them with Bilstiens and couldn't be happier.
I had to press bigger studs in the rear shocks though. They came with these cheep course threaded studs that striped and came loose.
The Bilstines keep my 4000 lb Bonneville in control at all times even in the worst of situations.

MonzaRacer
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
The Bilsteins or double adjustabel QA1s should get you some control.

mueen
03-08-2007, 01:16 PM
thanks eveyone for there input, i am going to go with the Bilsteins shocks. thanks eveyone again.

jeffandre
03-08-2007, 03:25 PM
thanks eveyone for there input, i am going to go with the Bilsteins shocks. thanks eveyone again.

Before you buy, call Frank or Lisa at GP Superstore to see what they can do for you.